1 of 2
Asteroid came Dangerously close to Earth this week
Posted: 08 July 2006 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Ok, so the experts didn’t actually say “dangerously”, but in the scheme of things, I’d say the distance from Earth to Moon is pretty darn close for comfort!

A major asteroid passed by the Earth this week, and another is heading this way.

An asteroid visible in the night sky
Asteroids are similar to comets and meteors. But they are larger, myriad chunks of rock up to several hundred kilometers in diameter, generally orbiting the sun between Mars and Jupiter.  There are those that approach Earth, as seen in countless home movies; and others that hit it, often ending up in museums.  Then there are those with really big impacts, seen in films.

We experienced this week what astrophysicist Ben Oppenheimer and others are calling, in cosmic terms, a close encounter. A large asteroid known as 2004-XP14 came within about 435,000 kilometers of Earth, about the distance between the Earth and the moon.

Rest of story here: 

Asteroid Approaches Earth: Destruction or Delight?

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 08 July 2006 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

2004 XP14 did not endanger earth, it was not an impact risk and has never been considered as such. In fact, there have been several closer approaches (though of smaller objects) the past few years, with distances up to only 1/3th of the earth-moon distance.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 08 July 2006 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
LaMa - 08 July 2006 12:08 PM

2004 XP14 did not endanger earth, it was not an impact risk and has never been considered as such. In fact, there have been several closer approaches (though of smaller objects) the past few years, with distances up to only 1/3th of the earth-moon distance.

Hey, your’re spoiling my fun!  But yeah, realistically if it didn’t hit the Earth then we weren’t in any danger.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 08 July 2006 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Anything that

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 July 2006 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

How close do they actually have to come to get caught in the Earth’s gravitational field?  I’d imagine one would have to be headed directly at us to be a danger given how fast is space debris.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 09 July 2006 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

If you want to worry yourself a bit, you can always try taking a good look at the map on this website.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 July 2006 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, that’s a VERY worriesome map Accip.  Earth sits right smack dab in the middle of the asteroid belt.  It looks like they get more clustered closer to the sun…....

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 10 July 2006 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Actually, the asteroid belt is more properly confined between Mars and Jupiter, though there are always rogues that fall out of orbit and interect the orbits of the closer planets.  It’s not that worrisome, really.  Impacts are a very real threat to all life on the planet, but it’s an extremely rare event. 

Space is big - really big - you just won’t believe how vastly, hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. You may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist, but that’s just peanuts to space. - Douglas Adams.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 10 July 2006 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09
LaMa - 08 July 2006 12:08 PM

I was waiting to see if the Lama was going to respond to that…...

Posted: 11 July 2006 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Personally, all this stuff about asteroids striking Earth (after all, they killed the dinosaurs!)*, anyway, I think the fear is mainly being sold to us by those who will make big bucks with rockets and such to ‘defend’ us.

What a wonderful racket!

If the defense is succesful, they are heroes, and deserve their billions!

And if the defense fails, who is going to complain?

*Unproven theory, not supported by all archaeologists

Dan the follow the money guy

Posted: 12 July 2006 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

My fear of asteroids hitting us is based on two things. 1) How much damage they can do, depending on the size, and 2) There’s relatively little we can do about it. I’m well aware it’s pretty damn unlikely to happen, though.

I’m not really one for conspiracy theories. Sorry, Dan.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 12 July 2006 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Who mentioned a conspiracy?

My comment concerned opportunists and fear-mongers.

Dan, Who does not believe in too many conspiracies, because usually the alleged conspirators are so inept they could not organize a two-camel caravan, {No one has ever accused George W. Bush of being over-qualified!) and furthermore, most of these conspiracy theories would involve the co-operation of thousands of co-conspirators, not a very likely scenario, as someone would leak the info sooner or later

1 of 2

‹‹ new spelling      Another Hybrid Veggie ››