1 of 1
Cloned dinosaurs?
Posted: 31 March 2014 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5549
Joined  2007-03-14

The original article has some British scientists claiming to have cloned a dinosaur ala Jurassic park.  The second link is to an article about the hoax.  The veracity of the original site is probably subject to debate though.

Scientists at Liverpool’s John Moore University have successfully cloned a dinosaur, a spokesman from the university said yesterday. The dinosaur, a baby Apatosaurus nicknamed “Spot,” is currently being incubated at the University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. The scientists extracted DNA from preserved Apatosaurus fossils, which were on display at the university’s museum of natural science. Once the DNA was harvested, scientists injected it into a fertile ostrich womb. “Ostriches share a lot of genetic traits with dinosaurs,” said Dr. Gerrard Jones, a biology professor at LJMU and the project’s leading scientist. “Their eggshell microstructures are almost identical to those of the Apatosaurus. That’s why the cloning worked so perfectly.” Those in the scientific community say the dinosaur cloning – the first ever of its kind – is a milestone for genetic engineering.

Link to original article here
Link to second article

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 01 April 2014 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

I’ve got a great book called “The Science of Jurassic Park”. Can’t remember who the authors are and I’m working out of town at the moment so I can’t check, but it goes into great detail about the challenges and problems of cloning dinosaurs. It’s also very critical of the method used in the movie. If you’ve read it you’d be instantly skeptical about a news story like this. To be brief, cloning a dinosaur would take scientific and financial resources that would dwarf those of the Manhattan Project. There is no way a single institution like John Moore University would be able to accomplish it.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 02 April 2014 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

The article wont work for me, but I’m presume it was posted yesterday; being April 1st.

1 of 1