1 of 4
Jan. 25th—A Room of One’s Own Day
Posted: 25 January 2014 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

http://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/a-room-of-ones-own-day/

Woolf’s 1928 essay ‘A Room of One’s Own’ was surely the inspiration behind A Room Of One’s Own Day.

While the essay itself was focused on the subject of women’s access to education, in these more enlightened times we can probably relax the rules a little and make it a day purely for ourselves.

Even if you don’t (or can’t) take an entire day for yourself, it couldn’t hurt to set aside some time that is just for you, even if it’s just half an hour or so. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 28 January 2014 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

Well, good grief, I didn’t expect to have *this* room all to myself!  raspberry

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 28 January 2014 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

*sprawls lazily over Crafty’s lap*

Better?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 January 2014 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

We didn’t want to disturb you.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 29 January 2014 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

*skritches Robin*  Aah, much better! grin

Gray, I’m already pretty disturbed! LOL

Signature 

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 29 January 2014 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I’m watching.  Just not felt like talking.  Even on facebook, I’m not feeling like I have much to say these days.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 29 January 2014 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

I know that feeling.  I’m usually more of a lurker than an active participant.  Probably due to the fact that I don’t lead a very exciting life and refuse to populate my timeline with selfies.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 30 January 2014 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

I haven’t been very talkative lately, either. I’ll share things I find interesting or funny, but there’s not a lot going on in my own life that I want to pass along. Stupid drama with our oldest son, me trying to find editing work, Dave still dealing with his pain issues; that’s about it.

Also, the weather is cold and yucky, and about to get colder and yuckier—it’s supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow, with tomorrow’s high only in the teens. :(

Signature 

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 30 January 2014 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah… the weather just about everywhere seems to be ‘ick’. Here in California? Oh, sure, it’s fabulous. Nice and warm, t-shirt and shorts weather… except we’ve shattered records for number of days without rain. Worst drought in ever. We’re seeing wildfire conditions we don’t normally see until late August. We are FINALLY seeing some rain today, but it won’t be enough. We’re going to have to learn how to drink gravel at this rate…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 31 January 2014 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

So, what are y’all’s opinions on raising the minimum wage? I shared a picture on Facebook, hoping to generate a fairly civil conversation, and it was for a bit, and then got kind of snarky.

Basically, the picture is of a McDonald’s employee holding a tray with a couple of food items. The captions read, “Congrats on raising minimum wage! That’ll be $64.93.” It’s followed by the line “Liberals can’t think two steps ahead,” but that’s not a sentiment I agree with. I was looking at how, in my work experience over the last 24 years, every time the minimum wage has been raised, prices on everything else have gone up as well.

I believe that this is caused by employers raising wages for current employers as well as any new hires. After all, most of the places I’ve worked try not to have a new employee earning as much or more than someone who has been there for longer, which I believe is fair. A friend of mine pointed out that the average CEO makes 600+ times more than the company’s lowest-paid employees, and asked how increasing the minimum wage would cut into profits. My answer to that is that it cuts into profits because *all* of the employees are now being paid more, meaning that less of the profits can go into the executives’ pockets.

So while I would love to see the minimum wage increased, I don’t see that it would, at this time, be helpful in the long term for employees. I think that cost of living would just increase again after a fairly short time, and people would be right back where they are now. That is, unless profit margins are capped for large corporations. But then would those corporations just not hire new workers? Would they let other employees go, thus increasing their profits that way?

Also, which companies should have their profit margins capped? And should that be a permanent thing, or temporary—say for a couple of years, in order to allow people to get their feet back under them, so to speak?

Signature 

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 31 January 2014 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

I think you would find it pretty hard to cap the profit margin for a private or public company.  That would basically defeat the purpose having a free market.  A better idea would be to cap the wages of executives at these companies.  That would allow for better wages for the lower level employees while the company still makes it’s profit without the cost of the product or service going up.  However the first thing you always hear mentioned when this is brought up is that they need to pay the top wages to attract the best people.  So the cycle goes on and on.  The rich get richer and the rest of us get poorer. 

If the minimum wage was raised I suspect you would definitely see an increase in prices all around as the companies tried to keep their profit margin.  Not to say that I believe the minimum wage shouldn’t be raised, I do believe it needs to be.  I’m just not sure that with the system we have right now it would do any good as the cost of living would go up accordingly.  Until the present financial system is overhauled to the point where profits aren’t the ultimate goal I can’t see any change in the situation.

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 01 February 2014 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Theoretically, minimum wage should be raised in line with inflation and GDP - I know ours get reviewed annually by the Fair Work Commission and take these factors into account when advising a minimum wage increase.  I suspect that Gray is right, though - larger corporations will increase the cost of goods/services just to keep their profit margins where they want them.

Also…woohoo!  Australia has the highest minimum wage world-wide!  Go Aus!  Linky

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

1 of 4