1 of 1
Voynich manuscript might come from post-Colombian Mexico
Posted: 22 January 2014 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

The mysterious Voynich manuscript, written in symbols that so far eluded decipherment, might come from Mexico.

Botanist Arthur Tucker and information technologist Rexford Talbert have managed to identify 37 plants depicted as plants from the America’s, notably Mexico. They similarly identified 6 animals and one mineral. They also managed to identify several plant names in the text as being written in Nahuatl, a Native-American language from Mexico. The caligraphy of the manuscript bears resemblance to the caligraphy of another 16th century Mexican Codex, the Codex Cruz-Badianus from 1552.

More at the source

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 22 January 2014 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Hmm.. seems plausible. They haven’t had any luck translating it to any known language, but if it was written in a tongue with no european roots, that could do it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 January 2014 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

I’d like to see if other botanists agree with his identifications as we know all too well how easy it is to delude oneself.  37 is a lot of identifications, and for him to be the first to make them, well…

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 January 2014 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I too think I’ll wait for confirmation of his theory.  It seems like a bit of a stretch that no one has thought of that before with all the people who have tried to decode it in the past.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1