1 of 2
Ottowa to parents: Vaccinate or else!
Posted: 19 November 2013 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Woo!

Folks know that Anti-Vaxxers are one of my hot-button topics. I could rant and scream for hours on the matter. I’m very glad to see that common sense is prevailing on a national level.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/03/na0504-th-vaccines/

VANCOUVER — Late last month, public health officials issued a final ultimatum to the parents of school students in the Ottawa area: Vaccinate your kids, or we will suspend them from school.

On Wednesday, Ottawa Public Health made good on the threat. As of Thursday night, 603 Ottawa students had been sent home by suspension orders.

The idea is not to suspend students arbitrarily, say officials, but to drive home the point that they are no longer messing around when it comes to parents who forget to vaccinate their children — or who refuse the shots outright due to pseudoscientific claims.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 November 2013 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Perhaps an ‘Escape from NY’ style walled island could be set up for those who don’t wish to vaccinate, keeping them away from the main population.

Posted: 19 November 2013 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

While the people in Ottawa are getting serious about it I odn’t think it is going to spread too far beyond the capital.  From my experiend the vast majority of people out my way dont’ have a problem with vaccinating their kids.  I’m sure there are some rabid anti-vaxers around but they are few and far between and we never hear about them.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 19 November 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I’ll admit what bothers me most isn’t that some nameless entity in Ottawa is insisting that the kids are vaccinated.

It’s the way people on their thread are happily chirping at how great it is that the people of Ottawa no longer have the freedom to choose for themselves or for their own children what they can put in their own bodies…
It’s a very slippery slope we’re on when your right to choose is taken away from you.

We’re not just talking about vaccines here people. We’re talking about government bodies taking away peoples rights. We’re talking about basic dictatorship. Today it’s vaccines, and that might seem like a good thing to some, but what freedoms might they try to take tomorrow.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 19 November 2013 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21
Sharruma - 19 November 2013 09:45 PM

It’s a very slippery slope we’re on when your right to choose is taken away from you.

We’re not just talking about vaccines here people. We’re talking about government bodies taking away peoples rights. We’re talking about basic dictatorship. Today it’s vaccines, and that might seem like a good thing to some, but what freedoms might they try to take tomorrow.

No one has taken away their right to not have their children vaccinated, and no one is forcing them to have their children vaccinated.

What has been taken away is their ability to inflict their unvaccinated children onto the other children at the schools.

Thi is the same as banning smoking in public places & businesses.  Adults have the right to smoke; they don’t have the right to inflict their smoke on others.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 19 November 2013 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Inflict in what way?

Aren’t the other children vaccinated?

Or doesn’t the vaccine work??

Also, if these vaccines are so wonderful
Why was a law passed that exonerated vaccine companies from any harm their vaccines might do?

Now isn’t that interesting. I had a website to link to here, but when I try to add it to my post I get the following message.

Action Denied: Blacklisted Item Found

Makes me wonder why its censored.

Well lets add this one, it shows a correlation between vaccines and infant deaths

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/30/in-memoriam-infant-deaths-and-vaccination.aspx

Here’s another related ink that might be interesting

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/03/right-vaccine-dosage-for-babies.aspx

number 5 is most interesting
Vaccines do not provide complete or permanent protection against infectious disease. For example, 75 percent of children who contracted chickenpox in a 2001 Maryland outbreak had been vaccinated against chickenpox. A high number of vaccinated persons also have been found in pertussis and mumps outbreaks.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 21 November 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2004-04-20

Not really related, but the title reminded me of this story I just saw about how most Harvard students were unable to say what city was the capital of Canada:

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2013/11/18/harvard-students-dont-know-capital-of-canada

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26
Sharruma - 19 November 2013 11:30 PM

Inflict in what way?
Aren’t the other children vaccinated?
Or doesn’t the vaccine work??

Other than conversation point, I am wondering why Robin is positing articles from August.

My daycare has a strict vax-or-no-admittance policy, and its one I agree with. For children too young to be vaccinated, its definitely a place they would come into contact with diseases if there are enough unvax people. If my child got Polio when they were too young to get the vax, and I could pin it on a stubborn anti-vaxer that caused it, you can be sure I’d be looking at them for lifelong compensation for his disability caused by the disease. Even if I never got a cent out of them, I’d make them rethink the idea that not vaccinating has no consequences for anyone but their children.

And as for why should they be made to vaccinate, I guess its a product of a free healthcare and society safety net system. You have to at least try and protect people from harming themselves, or in this case, harming children too young to make life and death decisions for themselves. Sure, they can still go out and huff paint, do dangerous stunts, or whatever else they like that may have life long detrimental consequences, but you have to push those on the fence about it to minimise their exposure to diseases.

When smallpox was prevalent, they use to expose themselves to small doses of it to try and build up some immunity in case they got a big exposure later. Death rate was still a few % from doing this, but they considered that preferable to getting smallpox.

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26
Alex - 21 November 2013 10:16 AM

Not really related, but the title reminded me of this story I just saw about how most Harvard students were unable to say what city was the capital of Canada:

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2013/11/18/harvard-students-dont-know-capital-of-canada

Jeopardy contestants this week couldnt name the current Canadian Prime minister when shown a picture of him. Sad, you’d think they would know.

Posted: 22 November 2013 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Have to agree with Aussie here.  There are folks out in the community who are either too young to vaccinate, have compromised health, who are too old, whose systems will only be partially protected and remember that humans are NOT the only critters who can and do carry human diseases whose systems then can often mutate the disease.

While you may think that everyone else around you is vaccinated, that makes you safe so you don’t need to be, you can be VERY misguided.  A lot of things can happen:  you can get sick anyway from the critters around you NOT human, you can help breed that next mutation, you can cause others to have to pay for your medical care and you can also infect others who, like you, assumed everyone else was vaccinated.

IF you live miles away from others, seldom if ever go to town, go out or have contact with others, then that decision is entirely yours to gamble. 

IF you live in a dense community, the gamble is still yours but you also cause others to ‘gamble’ when that wasn’t their intent.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 November 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Shar: Vaccines aren’t 100%. There’s only a handful that are. However, by vaccinating most of the population, you don’t give the disease enough vectors to breed in, which is why it still ‘works’ for infants and people with compromised immune systems. However, if your percentage of vaccinated people drops below a certain point, the disease can spread. It can infect even vaccinated people. Further, it can breed and evolve enough to the point that the vaccine may become useless.

I REALLY don’t want to live in a world where things like Polio and Measles are as prevalent as they were a hundred years ago. Especially now that so many more people are living in cities. Can you imagine an entire city quarantined due to a Mumps epidemic? Remember, Mumps can cause sterility in adults before you dismiss it as ‘just an annoying childhood illness’.

Vaccines are the single most fantastic medical advancement we’ve ever developed (though antibiotics are a close second). Curing a disease is fine and good, but it’s a lot better to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I agree that people should have a right to decide what they put in their (or their children’s) bodies. However, when the health of the public is a concern, then the answer is simple: quarantine. You don’t have to vaccinate, but your children will not be allowed to spread germs to others.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 December 2013 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

“I REALLY don’t want to live in a world where things like Polio and Measles are as prevalent as they were a hundred years ago”  Wow Robin, I think you must be younger than I thought!  Polio and Measles reached their peak when I was a little girl in grade school and that wasn’t a hundred years ago!  I got measles (german) and ended up infecting my entire kindergarten class I’m afraid because I lied to my parents on the day there was to be a train ride and told them I felt fine (when I surely didn’t….I’d been coming down with this a few days before but only a slight fever, no rash yet).  The teacher called my parents when we got back from the ride to let them know that I was walking home but she was pretty sure I was really sick. 

I ended up quarantined in bed in a dark room (shades all pulled) for a very long time….I remember that it was over my birthday too and I missed that.  Mostly I was just out of it with high fever.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2