1 of 1
Too much STUFF!
Posted: 18 October 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Too much information too fast.  Every morning I wake up sort of cleansed from the day before.  It’s a new day.  But as soon as I start sipping my morning drink I turn my computer on and first check e-mail from two accounts and suddenly my morning starts to disintegrate.

All kinds of serious news globally, then stuff happening closer to home, in my own town or next to it.

All kinds of ‘causes’ have floated in as well during the night, from personal pleas for abused animals, children, women, forests, oceans, animals going extinct, new ones found, climate, oil, wars, maiming…........

Next are the political calls to action, please donate, get involved, stop doing what you’re doing, shut up, speak out.

Then there are the health ones, don’t eat that, and don’t consume this, this is poison, this isn’t, if you took this and died you can file criminal action (I’m not sure how to do that from across the grave), if you were given this you may have cancer or are surely going to get it.  If you do that you’ll never have a stroke or die (I don’t know if those have a warranty or not), and OMG guys be careful with that testosterone therapy and women be careful with that estrogen therapy (and maybe after it all gets flushed down the toilet or sink it comes back to bite all of us and we’ll just be one-happy-gender?)

Then I open social forums to discover more maimed and flayed and bleeding animals and children, dead and hug pups, friends who are being ushered to the hospital now or were while I slept, friends in pain, friends gushing about a new shirt or tights or pants, and more ‘please repost this or you just don’t care’.

By the time I’m done with my morning coffee I’m pooped, guilty, ready to commit suicide or ready to pick up a gun and just start shooting .......... (I’m not sure at what though)

I think I’ll just save electricity and keep everything off for awhile (not really, I love the drama you know?)

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 October 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

I hear you! I’m lucky that my email is mostly crochet- and editing-related. And with my Facebook, I’ve gotten pretty good at ignoring most of the political posts (from all parties, because I’ve noticed that they’re all equally vile to each other), and I totally ignore all of the “please pass this on or else”. Because you know what? Most of those are scams, or things to try to garner an emotional response. Me sharing a post about a kid with cancer isn’t going to actually raise money for him, much as I’d wish otherwise, and I also don’t need to share certain ones because I love Jesus. The people who know me know that I do, and I don’t need to flood their news feeds with that message.

I’ve noticed that I have Facebook open pretty much all day, but I don’t really say much on there anymore. I actually don’t really say much anywhere anymore. *sigh* Ah, well.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 19 October 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I’m much the same as Crafty. I’m always looking at Facebook, but I’m not really saying anything.  I’m generally ignoring all the “Share this…” posts, for much the same reason - just because you like/share something, doesn’t mean you’re making a difference.  Fortunately not exposed to any political posts.  My RSS news feed is limited to local and national news, comics and fun blogs.  I got a bit tired of having the international news repeated several times every time the story got updated, so I dropped it from my feeds a while back.  Plus, just way too much was going on that I just found myself getting bogged down in morbid stuff.  And my email is pretty much all newsletters that I have subscribed to (mostly of the shopping variety, so most get deleted after a quick glance).

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 20 October 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I think I need to make some of those same changes and thanks….now I don’t feel guilty!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 October 2013 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Simple rules for life: avoid all charities, political parties and ignore all requests to share stuff. I have my own life to focus on thanks.

Posted: 21 October 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Mr R - 21 October 2013 04:30 AM

Simple rules for life: avoid all charities, political parties and ignore all requests to share stuff. I have my own life to focus on thanks.

That’s pretty much how I look at it too.  My minds filter is running at a high level most of the time I’m online.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1