1 of 1
Woman swallows tapeworm ordered off the internet in drastic bid to lose weight
Posted: 20 August 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Apart from the nasty side effects, would it work? I’m sure she had heard similar legends to all of us about tapeworms, but I guess she had researched it further(enough to find somewhere to buy one? What do you normally buy them for?)

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/woman-swallows-tapeworm-ordered-off-the-internet-in-drastic-bid-to-lose-weight/story-fneuz9ev-1226700544457

Woman swallows tapeworm ordered off the internet in drastic bid to lose weight

AS FAR as extreme weight loss measures go, there’s fat chance most of us would try this at home.

A dieter in Iowa ordered a tapeworm off the internet in a desperate bid to lose weight and then told her doctor about her extreme weight loss measure.

Her physician was so stumped by the news and with little clue what to do next he called the Iowa Department of Public Health for help.

Iowa’s Public Health Department medical director Dr Patricia Quinlisk told the GP to prescribe an anti-worm medication and then issued a warning to health workers about the dangerous practice.

She said: “Ingesting tapeworms is extremely risky and can cause a wide range of undesirable side effects, including rare deaths,” she wrote.

“Those desiring to lose weight are advised to stick with proven weight loss methods; consuming fewer calories and increasing physical activity.”

Tapeworms live in the human digestive tract and their larvae can be absorbed by eating undercooked meat.

The symptoms can go unnoticed and can lead to weight loss and headaches - among other things.

Posted: 20 August 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm_infection. I think the nasty side effects aren’t worth putting aside

Symptoms

Although tapeworms in the intestine usually cause no symptoms, some people experience upper abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.[2] Anemia may develop in people with the fish tapeworm. Infection is generally recognized when the infected person passes segments of proglottids in the stool (looks like white worms), especially if a segment is moving.

Rarely, worms may cause obstruction of the intestine. And very rarely, T. solium larvae can migrate to the brain causing severe headaches, seizures and other neurological problems. This condition is called neurocysticercosis. It can take years of development before the patient has those symptoms of the brain.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 20 August 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Sadly we’ve had people on here before asking how to get tapeworms.  People that desperate to lose weight sometimes aren’t exactly right in the head.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 August 2013 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

At high school in Alexandria, Egypt (haven’t I told this story before?), one of our track stars from Nigeria saw odd pieces of stuff coming out when he used the bathroom.  The house doctor had him bring the pieces to her and it was obvious that he had a tapeworm so he was given the worm poison and spent I think it was two days stuck in the boys’ dorm where he labored over the toilet.  The head had to come out before he could be determined rid of it.

I will never forget the afternoon after when, just after lunch of pasta, the Biology professor presented the entire worm (I believe it was between 8-12 feet….the student was EXTREMELY thin) in a jar with the head included.  It was the worst day of many of our delicate lives and many refused to eat pasta after that.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 29 August 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26
hulitoons - 27 August 2013 03:32 PM

I will never forget the afternoon after when, just after lunch of pasta, the Biology professor presented the entire worm (I believe it was between 8-12 feet….the student was EXTREMELY thin) in a jar with the head included.  It was the worst day of many of our delicate lives and many refused to eat pasta after that.

So, he/they fished it out of the toilet, put it in a jar, and showed it around to all the other students to look at. Was the patient OK with this? What nickname did he earn for being forever remembered as the boy with the worm?

And I guess, anecdotally, tapeworms can make you thin.

Posted: 30 August 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
AussieBruce - 29 August 2013 11:49 AM
hulitoons - 27 August 2013 03:32 PM

So, he/they fished it out of the toilet, put it in a jar, and showed it around to all the other students to look at. Was the patient OK with this? What nickname did he earn for being forever remembered as the boy with the worm?

And I guess, anecdotally, tapeworms can make you thin.

And AussieBruce, that is EXACTLY what they did!  I know I never asked him about it that’s for sure!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1