1 of 1
‘Hyperloop’ ultra-fast travel system to be unveiled
Posted: 12 August 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Trying to work out the scam in this… is it just attention seeking?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/08/12/technology-hyperloop-travel-elon-musk.html

‘Hyperloop’ ultra-fast travel system to be unveiled
Elon Musk says his design would move people from San Francisco to L.A. in 30 minutes

Twice as fast as an airplane, cheaper than a bullet train and completely self-powered: that’s the mysterious transportation system that inventor and entrepreneur Elon Musk is promising to reveal design plans for Monday.

Musk has been dropping hints about his “Hyperloop” system for more than a year during public events, mentioning that it could never crash, would be immune to weather and would move people from Los Angeles to San Francisco in half an hour.

Coming from almost anyone else, the hyperbole would be hard to take seriously. But billionaire Musk — who sold his first computer program, a $500 space game called Blastar, at age 12 — has earned his reputation as an inventor and entrepreneur, co-founding online payment firm PayPal, electric luxury carmaker Tesla Motors Inc. and rocket-building company SpaceX.

During a Tesla earnings call Thursday, Musk said he would reveal plans for the Hyperloop on Monday. But he said he is too focused on other projects to consider actually building it.

“I think I kind of shot myself by ever mentioning the Hyperloop,” he said. “I don’t have any plans to execute, because I must remain focused on SpaceX and Tesla.”
Open-source design

He said he would fulfil his commitment to publishing a design, and he said he invites critical feedback after its release Monday to “see if the people can find ways to improve it.” It will be an open-source design, meaning anyone can use it and modify it.

Also Thursday, Musk said during a Google Hangout with Sir Richard Branson about entrepreneurship, “It does involve a tube, but not a vacuum tube.”

His hints and promises have prompted a flurry of online speculation.

Canadian John Gardi, a self-described “tinkerer,” posted online and tweeted his conjecture a few weeks ago to Musk.

“I believe that Hyperloop is merely a modern day version of the pneumatic tubes used in banks, stores, and industry to move money and small items over long distances or to other floors of a building,” he said.

Musk responded, “Your guess is the closest I’ve seen anyone guess so far.”

Posted: 14 August 2013 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Posted: 14 August 2013 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Speaking as someone who lives in California, where they plan to build this thing… I’m a bit mixed. I mean, it sounds crazy, but it’s just plausible enough, you know?

On the plus side, it’s doubtful the thing will have windows - Interstate 5 has NOTHING to look at, scenery-wise…It’s faster than the 101, but I reccomend bringing some audio books, and heaven help you if you have bored offspring in the car with you.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 14 August 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I just have a picture in my mind of a big glass or plastic tube running alongside the interstate where people driving along can watch these capsules zipping by in the tube.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 14 August 2013 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
Mr R - 14 August 2013 03:24 AM

That’s just what I was thinking. Then again if they can solve the problems of monorail then why not?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 15 August 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

So, 1,126KM is 699MPH…................ that’s going to be pressing a LOT of pressure on the bodies inside!  How are they going to handle that?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 15 August 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 15 August 2013 10:58 AM

So, 1,126KM is 699MPH…................ that’s going to be pressing a LOT of pressure on the bodies inside!  How are they going to handle that?

Consider the speed of the Concorde, when it was still in service. Wikipedia article here.

Mach 2.04 (~2,179 km/h or 1,354 mph) cruising speed

I guess the real problem would be if there were a sudden acceleration or deceleration. I’m assuming neither would be too sudden.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 31 August 2013 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 15 August 2013 10:58 AM

When you are up to speed there is no pressure on your body as long as you are in a sealed capsule.  You feel the pressure during acceleration and deceleration.  So if they calculated that part correctly it wouldn’t be too bad. 

As an example, in a typical jetliner, you are cruising at an airspeed of about 275 - 350 kts.  This usually translates into a ground speed of about 550 kts give or take a bit due to altitude, air currents and other factors.  You feel the acceleration and decleration on takeoff and landing but you don’t feel it when you are at cruise speed even though you are going much faster than when taking off. 

So for this system, once up to speed, you wouldn’t feel any pressure from the speed.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 September 2013 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8456
Joined  2006-02-28

He ain’t the only one working on this stuff…

Evacuated Tube Transport Technologies
“Space Travel on Earth”
Their website: http://www.et3.com/

Interview with inventor Daryl Oster @ Mashables:
http://mashable.com/2013/08/25/hyperloop-daryl-oster/

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 03 September 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

My guess would be a pneumatic tube-like system, but with propulsion by means of magnetic coils rather than compressed air or a vacuum.

On the plus side, it’s doubtful the thing will have windows - Interstate 5 has NOTHING to look at, scenery-wise…It’s faster than the 101, but I reccomend bringing some audio books, and heaven help you if you have bored offspring in the car with you.

You’ll survive 30 minutes with no view. A journey through he Channel Tunnel takes about that time.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 1