1 of 1
My latest new part time job
Posted: 03 August 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

Nothing to do with selling.

I got this part time job helping students with difficulty by taking notes for them in lectures. It’ll keep me going until I find a full time job.

Plus I might learn something.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 03 August 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Good for you that you have something to keep you going.  But how is that helping them Peter?  Shouldn’t they be sitting in the lectures taking their own notes?  I would think that learning how to take notes is a necessary skill for someone in university.  It certainly is later in life.

Maybe you should set up a class teaching students how to take effective notes and study habits.  I’m pretty sure you could make a fair living at that.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 03 August 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

From what I understand it’s to do with helping students who have some disadvantage. So I’m assuming it could be a problem with understanding the English language or it may be some physical disability. So I don’t think it’s a case that they need “study skills” as such.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 03 August 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

Yep, it’s pretty much to help students whose first language isn’t English, along with those who have disabilities. I believe that students who have note-takers to help them are also encouraged to take their own notes to the best of their ability, because sometimes the act of writing the information down helps it to stick in one’s mind better (though that may just be here).

I’m considering applying to work at MSU-Billings’ writing lab as a tutor for the fall semester.  It wasn’t too terrible when I had to do it as a requirement for graduation, and it looks good on a resume.  Plus it would ensure at least a little bit of money coming in to pay the bills.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 04 August 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14
Peter - 03 August 2013 09:28 AM

From what I understand it’s to do with helping students who have some disadvantage. So I’m assuming it could be a problem with understanding the English language or it may be some physical disability. So I don’t think it’s a case that they need “study skills” as such.

Ahhh, that makes sense.  I hadn’t considered that angle.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve been doing this part time job for about a month now. I’ve had this week off because the students have a semester break this week. I’m back at work on Monday.

It’s been OK so far. I’ve learned a few things from sitting in on the classes and taking notes.

I’m still looking for full time work. Apart from the fact I have to as part of my obligations while collecting the Newstart allowance (unemployment benefit) from Centrelink I have a feeling this part time job will not give me work over the end of year break unless I’m needed for Summer classes.

I declare my part time income to Centrelink, before anybody asks. There is a sliding scale for Newstart allowance.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 09 September 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

So does this mean the search for a full time job is starting up full bore again?

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 September 2013 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 09 September 2013 03:42 PM

So does this mean the search for a full time job is starting up full bore again?

My search for a full time job never stopped this year. This part time job has been good to me but I still need to look for something better.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve been doing this for about 6 weeks now. I’m glad to be getting an income and I’m in a better mood now.

I do find I’m still having to get used to being in a class room without taking part in the lesson, as I’m just taking notes. I guess no job is perfect. I’ll just have to put more time in other things so I know this job is not the only thing I have.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 28 September 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I understand the ‘mood’ thing when you’re looking for employment, especially a position that you are, at least, ‘okay’ with.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1