1 of 1
Autism caused by pollution?
Posted: 19 June 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

So… it seems that autism may be caused by prenatal exposure to air pollution.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/health/prenatal-pollution-autism/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 20 June 2013 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

This would mean that most Victorians living in cities would have had it then. It seems a bit too simple an explanation and there are some parts of the world where exposure to these pollutants has decreased considerably over the years. I’m not so sure this study proves anything other than a casual link, if that.

Posted: 21 June 2013 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, there was mention they think it’s diesel pollutants in particular. But yes, I would be rather interested to know of the autism rates in smogged-out places like Beijing…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 21 June 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

This is much more believeable than anything the anit-vaxers put out.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 24 June 2013 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Since autism has been running rampant in my family at least since the early 1800s (the identifiers were there even though they didn’t have the label yet) and hasn’t stopped…....where or what were the pollutants then?  I’m on the spectrum too, so was my grandfather, great-aunt, my sister’s children, grandchildren, my grandson, and apparently this started a LONG time ago.  Give me a break.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 June 2013 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 21 June 2013 04:24 PM

This is much more believeable than anything the anit-vaxers put out.

You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 June 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 24 June 2013 12:08 AM

Since autism has been running rampant in my family at least since the early 1800s (the identifiers were there even though they didn’t have the label yet) and hasn’t stopped…....where or what were the pollutants then?  I’m on the spectrum too, so was my grandfather, great-aunt, my sister’s children, grandchildren, my grandson, and apparently this started a LONG time ago.  Give me a break.

Good point. Maybe they could argue the pollution exacerbates the existing problem? I’m not an expert though.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 June 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Since “autism” is not one disease but a spectrum of disorders, it would surprise me if there was only one single cause.

Also, I doubt whether you can control all variables in studies like this. Areas with low pollution levels usually also future quite different life styles.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 11 July 2013 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

In other news, researchers at my local University of California at Davis have linked maternal antibodies to autism, saying that they may be responsible for 23 percent of cases, and opening possibilities of tests or prevention treatments.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/ucd/maternal-antibodies-linked-to-autism-ucd-team-finds/

UC Davis researchers believe they have discovered the cause of as much as 23 percent of autism cases, pinpointing antibodies in some mothers that attack proteins needed for fetal brain development.

Mothers of some children with autism were more than 21 times as likely to have the specific antibodies in their blood as mothers who did not have autism, according to the study, published online Tuesday by the journal Translational Psychiatry.

The discovery could lead to a diagnostic test for women considering pregnancy that could predict a child’s chance of developing what the researchers are calling “maternal autoantibody-related” (MAR) autism.

Such a test could lead to more accurate diagnosis of children with autism and to the development of a drug capable of blocking the antibodies, protecting the brain of a fetus.

“We hope that, one day, we can tell a mother more precisely what her antibody profile means for her child, then target interventions more effectively,” principal investigator Judy Van de Water of the MIND Institute said in a news release.

A separate, related study, also published Tuesday by the same journal, found that exposure to the maternal antibodies affected the behavior and development of rhesus monkeys.

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2013 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

That is much more plausible than environmental factors. I work with a women who has several children, all with a form of autism, so genetic/maternal reasons are much more likely.

1 of 1

‹‹ 15 seconds of fame      Flooding in the area ››