1 of 2
So Amway still exists
Posted: 25 April 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2897
Joined  2005-06-15

I was somewhat shocked to read recently that Amway still exists. I’d love to see an exposé on why this is the case. Is there a video on PBS or Australia’s ABC or something?

I just did a Google search and found it still exists in Australia. I wonder what our local historians will be saying about this in 100 years time.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Could you enlighten us wat Amway is? I have no idea, being not from Ozz.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Wikipedia article here:

Amway

Many people consider this to be a scam and it originated in America. It’s a global organisation now.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Previous Amway thread http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/11545/

Posted: 25 April 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Mr R - 25 April 2013 09:59 AM

Previous Amway thread http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/11545/

I forgot about that thread.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 25 April 2013 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Yep, Amway is still around but a lot less visible than they were years ago.  From what I’ve seen lately they are pushing the products more than the membership thing nowadays.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

They also tend to operate under a variety of other sub-names, since their name is now synonymous with MLM schemes.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 26 April 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

Hi, my name is Oppiejoe: I was a former Amway Independent Business Owner. [/AAmway meeting]

Not a scam… just an opportunity to make money if you practice network marketing by using the Amway corporation as your source of product (and services) and allows you to create a network of subordinate distributors whom eventually qualify you for profit sharing should your organization expand to a large enough level.

I am aware of business owners who use the corporation as a source of products & services for their OTHER business enterprises (think Restaurant being supplied with food stuff, cleaning supplies, disposable items, etc).

I left because I did not have a large enough network of friends or any business contacts that were willing to use the corporations products continously (and exclusively). There is a significant mark-up on a lot of the “name brand” products that were available when I was involved (20+ years ago) and the corporate products were not necessarily the least expensive products available on the market (they may not have been the highest quality either).

We ended up buying a brand new car with about a 20% discount via our membership FWIW…

That is all I have…

Wait:

This is what I had to say before:

oppiejoe - 28 November 2010 05:21 PM

I ended up filing for bankruptcy after trying to build a group myself for three years. I ended up having one person become interested, and they decided to sign with someone else when it got to time for me to bring them a start-up package. That was the last straw for me. I am still good friends with my sponsor, but they have also dropped out after their group of people petered out (sorry Peter).

I was encouraged to attend several conferences out of state and spend tons of money on motivational tapes and books even though I was failing to pay my mortgage and credit card bills… when I tried to get better financial advice from my “upline” - they continued to encourage me to spend, spend, spend… “fake it ‘til I make it”... and all that kind of garbage. When I finally filed for my bankruptcy they were nowhere to be found to assist me with life after Amway.

The people at the top of the sponsorship tend to make a decent amount of income while those at the bottom levels of things really have to struggle to make ends meet. I suppose if you are really charismatic you might be able to sponsor a bunch of people and bring in a fair amount of money, but to really make it big, you need to have connections inside… since support is how you make things work when you can’t.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Oppiejoe, that was WELL told!  You’ve just described the Republican-Capitalist approach to government.

NOTE: Oppie, I just posted this to FB because, it’s brilliant and your post SPARKLES Kiddo!  Love it!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 April 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-28
hulitoons - 27 April 2013 10:42 AM

Oppiejoe, that was WELL told!  You’ve just described the Republican-Capitalist approach to government.

NOTE: Oppie, I just posted this to FB because, it’s brilliant and your post SPARKLES Kiddo!  Love it!

Prolly should have asked me BEFORE you posted it to FB… but I guess it is already there and it is public here too so no biggie (smaller forum here). Go ahead and leave it there.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Oppie, it’s already FAR down in the buffer there and unlikely that anyone will see it now and even difficult for me to find it.  That’s the difference between there and here.  Here your story is MUCH more likely to be seen and read even when there are no postings.  It also shows up on Google searches.  On FB the story will scroll for 15 minutes at best and then is off the buffer.  It also won’t show on a Google search (unless it’s a ‘promoted’ page and that costs the poster a lot of money….and will show for at most part of a single day). 

People who post to FB in the morning will find their posts completely obliterated by those who post in the evening HA!  So, it’s MUCH MORE likely that your story will be read from here!

Google the title here and see:
So Amway Still Exists

Oppiejoe

I ended up filing for bankruptcy after trying to build a group myself for three years

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-28

From other thread:

Peter - 27 April 2013 06:37 AM

I found a Dateline report that includes Amway at:

Linky

The quality of the video is distorted though.

I wonder what would happen if Amway just completely changed the way they do things so as not to be a worry to people. I wonder if they’d sell enough of their products to make a profit. I do remember their products seemed over priced.

EDIT: I’m getting the Amway threads mixed up. I posted in the old one by mistake.

Watched the whole video (not a whole Dateline program unfortunately):
http://www.amwaywiki.com/Britt,_Bill_&_Peggy (Historical perspective of Bill & Peggy Britt & their achievements)
http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/bill-britt-amway-legend/ (Blog post by Doug Wead who knows the Amway upper echelon better than most people)
http://thegohardentrepreneur.com/home-based-business/success-stories/bill-britt-breview/ (The Unauthorized and Unbiased Review of The Amway Icon Bill Britt by A.J Bernier)
This last link is pretty good because it explains the process of Multi Level Marketing (MLM) to the uninitiated and how the people in the upper echelon make a profit off of the support materials and profit sharing:

Why So Much Bill Britt Haters

The main problem everyone seems to have with Bill Britt is the fact that he makes the majority of his income from the training system that he generated to help his downline build a successful Amway business. I honestly don’t care where he makes the majority of his money it only matters if the material delivers. If it doesn’t deliver however then it’s useless. Its however obvious he would make more from his books and tapes because he sells it directly to you. I know the Amway compensation plan well (because I know almost all comp plans), and at most you make 25 percent of off your organization. However Amway’s comp plan is what’s known as a “stair step breakaway” once one of your people hit a certain level they break away from your group and you get a 4% leadership check for that leg. But if that leg is still buying cd’s directly from Bill Britt’s BWW their is no breakaway their he still gets his price. It’s obvious that he would make more especially when we are talking about 1-2 million distributors in his organization.

My Bill Britt Experience…

The next thing I want to cover in this Bill Britt Review is my own experience with Bill Britt. You see i have been to 6 events put on Bill Britt out of the dozens of MLM events I have attended. Their were good parts and bad parts of the events. One thing that is unique about one of Bills events is their is almost no talk about the Amway products at the events it is for the most part a personal development fest. The Britt team preaches 9-5-3 BIB, as their mantra unless they have changed it which I doubt. That means 9 core steps, 5 days a week using the 3 powers with a board in your bedroom to draw out your Amway group. I’m not going to discuss what those steps are and the reasons behind it but that’s what it is. A lot of people complain about the lack of Amway product information and the plethora of Bill Britt’s right wing political talk at his events. But I actually enjoyed parts of his talks and really he is only giving his success story he leaves all the nuts and bolts training to his diamonds and emeralds to take care of.

My Two Cents ( I can do that because it’s my Bill Britt Review)…

Before I end this Bill Britt review i want to reveal my major issue with Bill Britt. His teachings are antique and are not nearly as effective in today’s online arena. I have seen him over the past few years try to embrace the internet but as a 70 year old retired man he becomes the fish out of water. In today’s market the most important thing to do is get yourself out of all the marketing noise and position yourself as a leader. But even before you do that you need to learn how to generate traffic and leads. Once you learn traffic and lead generation all the other training will pay off. All of the old school training I see out there is delivered under the impression that you have prospects to talk to. But that’s not the case for most people. Nowadays the in your face aggressive 3 foot rule prospecting is dead. It doesn’t mean you can’t take a business card or happen to bump into a sharp person but I wouldn’t tell anyone on my team to go out and ask everyone they walk into “Do you keep your option open to other ways of making income”. Not because I think something is wrong with it, but because I know of more leveraged ways to prospect that I find superior to that.

[sic] - seems to be an advert for a different MLM system afterwards

I personally remember standing around in a crowded mall with a stack of business cards trying to find “sharp people” within 3 feet of me (mostly cute freckled redheads) to talk to…

Signature 

1 of 2