1 of 1
We really ARE very good at what we do best aren’t we!
Posted: 24 April 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I think it most interesting how, among all the critters that have walked on, swam under or flown over this globe, humans have been here the shortest length of time and will be the ONLY critter to bring about his own extinction even faster than any of the others. We really ARE very good at what we do best aren’t we!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/science/earth/2011-oklahoma-quake-tied-to-wastewater-disposal-at-oil-wells.html - Oklahoma two years ago most likely resulted from the pumping of wastewater from oil production

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-earthquakes-linked-wastewater-injection-135333327.html - New Mexico Earthquakes Linked to Wastewater Injection

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/02/ohio-earthquakes-caused-by-wastewater-well-drilling_n_1180094.html - Ohio Earthquakes Caused By Drilling Wastewater Well

http://ecenter.colorado.edu/energy-climate/energy-101/fossil-fuels - fossil fuel on the climate

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_are_caused_by_car_accidents_a_year - (note that MOST MOST cars are fueled with gasoline) About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States—one death every 13 minutes.

———————————sorry, I guess I’m just one of those ‘nutjobs’————————-

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 April 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

Without reading the actual reports I’d take them as examples of where a free economy needs government regulation to operate in a sustainable manner.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 24 April 2013 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

This was actually prompted by our governor here in Maryland contemplating fracking, here.  Maryland is a very tiny State and densely populated.  Fracking or even drilling for oil here would put a very large population at risk.  Almost everywhere where fracking is happening is experiencing quakes from small shakes to large destructive ones.  But that’s just one part of drilling oil or trying to squeeze it out of the earth.  No matter where it’s being done, and no matter where it’s being used, we are destroying the atmosphere above us, and shattering the crust beneath and spoiling the surface on land and water where there have been spills.  I think it’s probably already too late for ‘regulation’, we have run amuck.  So, when the petition came to say Yes or No to the governor, I said NO and put what I put here as my message. 

Human beings are dangerous and I do believe our chance on this globe will end up being the shortest length of time of any that have become before or after (if we leave enough sustenance to support anything after we’re gone.)

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 April 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

The areas that are experiencing earthquakes that may be related to fracking are mostly in earthquake prone areas anyway.  So while the fracking may not be helping the situation, the existance of faultlines means that there would have been a possibility of earthquakes in those areas anyway.  They do a fair amount of it up here too but this area is pretty much void of fault lines and there have been no reports of earthquakes or tremors occurring in areas where they are fracking. 

Anyway, I suspect we’ll probably kill each other off in other ways before the earth becomes uninhabitable.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 25 April 2013 08:38 PM

Anyway, I suspect we’ll probably kill each other off in other ways before the earth becomes uninhabitable.

Yes. I suppose we could accidentally let loose a virus in a world that destroys most of our food supply, except for the ingredients for baked beans….......

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 26 April 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
gray - 25 April 2013 08:38 PM

They do a fair amount of it up here too but this area is pretty much void of fault lines and there have been no reports of earthquakes or tremors occurring in areas where they are fracking. 

Think again Gray (although most of these are also near the U.S. border):  http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/09/06/bc-fracking-earthquakes-horn-river_n_1861701.html

Several minor earthquakes in British Columbia’s Horn River Basin were caused by a controversial drilling process for natural gas known as fracking, reveals a new report.

Low-level quakes recorded by Natural Resources Canada between April 2009 and December 2011 in the northeastern region prompted an investigation by the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission.

Almost 40 “seismic events” were recorded ranging in magnitude between 2.2 and 3.8 on the Richter scale, which is considered minor. Records show no earthquake activity in the area prior to 2009, noted the commission’s report which was released last month.

Its investigation concluded that the quakes were caused by “fluid injection during hydraulic fracturing in proximity to pre-existing faults.”

http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2012/09/07/fracking-earthquakes-shake-canada/

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/23277

Meanwhile, Canada has become a hot bed for fracking.

Last year, Apache Corp crowed over what they called the biggest hydraulic fracturing operation ever deep in the forests of northern British Columbia, reports Pro Publica.

Apache injected 259 million gallons of water and 50,000 tons of sand into 16 adjacent wells in a project four times larger than any before in North America.

But at the end of the year, Apache and partner Encana, North America’s second-largest gas driller, doubled even that project at a neighboring site.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

Yes Huli but the area you mention is close to fault lines.  Northern Alberta has a lot of fracking and oil recovery and there are no fault lines close to this area and no earthquakes either. 

Almost 40 “seismic events” were recorded ranging in magnitude between 2.2 and 3.8 on the Richter scale, which is considered minor. Records show no earthquake activity in the area prior to 2009, noted the commission’s report which was released last month.

Its investigation concluded that the quakes were caused by “fluid injection during hydraulic fracturing in proximity to pre-existing faults.”

This was my point exactly.  The fracking was done in an area that was close to existing fault lines.  While there may not have been any earthquakes in recent history there it is still a fault zone and could have triggered at any time.  The fracking likely sped up the process.  An area with a network of fault lines does not necessarily mean there are going to be regular earthquakes but it does mean that if something is done in the area of the fault lines an earthquake or tremor may be triggered.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1