1 of 1
Jobs in another city
Posted: 21 April 2013 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m applying for jobs in different parts of the country and it’s like I’m thinking “Can I really cope with moving to where I don’t know anybody?”.

I’m still applying for jobs in my home city of Melbourne. But lately I’ve been applying for jobs in Canberra because I’m forced to apply for where the jobs are. At my age I have to take what I can get. I just get worried about being told it’s freezing in Canberra a lot of the time.

I’m in the middle of applying for graduate jobs and most of the remaining brochures are for graduate jobs in Canberra. I just hope the coffee shops are good there.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, be advised that online friends anyway remain static.  I’ve had almost 70 major moves in my lifetime.  Including quite a few nearing the age of 50 and then 60.  So, I’ve spent most of my life not knowing people, and then when I do meet them I understand I will likely only know them for a while (which is why I loved the internet when I could finally have it!)

One of the things that DID remain more certain was the chance to start over again, to be ‘new’.  And that’s a condition difficult to hold when you stay in only one place all the time.  So, a move can remake you in a lot of different ways and can be like blooming better than you did before.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 April 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Try for jobs in Perth, Peter - You’ll have Nettie & I to meet up with!

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 22 April 2013 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
Smerk - 22 April 2013 05:49 AM

Try for jobs in Perth, Peter - You’ll have Nettie & I to meet up with!

I did actually apply for a graduate role in a Mining Company and the position was in Perth. I didn’t get that one.

The assessment, had I made it to that, would’ve been after a free plane ride to Perth. So I missed out big time even just on that.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, the Perth advantage would also be that you would have pre-existing friends to hang out with so you wouldn’t feel QUITE so uprooted.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 April 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

Sometimes moving out of your comfort zone, although it can be scary, maybe just what you need to jumpstart your life.  It may be the best thing for you if you give it a chance.  Unfortunately too many people are scared of change and miss out on many opportunities because of it.  I think you should go for a job in Canberra if you have the opportunity Peter.

And, yes, there is always the possibility it may not work out.  But if you dont take the chance you wont’ know.  And if the fact that people have told you it’s freezing a lot of the time is your main worry I think you would be ok.  If you want to see freezing move up here where it hits 35 - 40 below in winter.  I doubt there is anywhere in Australia that gets close to that.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1