1 of 2
Boston Marathon Blasts
Posted: 15 April 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

I just learned of this.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/chaos-as-twin-blasts-rock-boston-marathon-20130416-2hwl8.html

I haven’t got time to read it fully now. If anybody can post links with more information I’ll appreciate it.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

More info: At the finish of the Boston Marathon, two explosions occured about ten seconds and a block apart.
Current statistics: Two dead, at least 28 injured, some seriously.
A third explosion occured about five miles away, at JFK library, appears to be related to a fire there, and not conencted to blasts.
More explosive devices have been found, and are being dismantled. They are described as ‘low-flashpoint’, with no shrapnel.

CNN is usually pretty good for up-to-date info. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-marathon/?hpt=hp_t1

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 15 April 2013 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Current statistics:

Over a hundred injured, though most of those are minor.

Three dead, including an eight year old boy.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 16 April 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

All I can say is I hope they catch the bastards who did it.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 April 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Boston Marathon bombing: The initial theories - Early reports link twin blasts to right-wing extremists or al-Qa’ida

Early reports of the Boston Marathon bombing sought to link the blasts to domestic right-wing extremists.

The main thinking behind a link to the far-right was that the relative small size of the bomb and the fact it took place on Patriot’s Day – a hugely symbolic event.

Patriot’s Day is a civic holiday commemorating the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775. The battles marked the beginning of military action American Revolution and have been seen as a symbol of American independence and freedom ever since.

The devastating Oklahoma City bombing of April 19, 1995, which killed 168 people, took place the day after Patriot’s Day. Perpetrator Timothy McVeigh reportedly considered the date significant to his anti-government terrorist attack.

Patriot’s Day also marks the anniversary of the end of the Waco siege on April 19, 1993. Right-wing groups have long linked Waco’s bloody conclusion – in which 86 people died after the FBI stormed the Branch Davidian cult’s compound following a 51-day siege – as an example of the US government abusing its power.

The right-wing extremist theory was strengthened by fact April 15 is tax day, an event that in recent years has been used as a rallying date for members of the Tea Party group.

The Tea Party movement is, of course, named after the famous Boston Tea Party political protest of 1773 and, with President Obama’s taxation policies widely criticised by many conservative groups – both moderate and extreme - the date is increasingly seen as a focal point for right-wing protest.

Other experts have sought to distance the attacks from right-wing extremism however; suggesting twin blasts are a hallmark of al-Qa’ida.

The Telegraph reported Peter Neumann, professor of security studies at King’s College, London, as saying: “Some groups used a particular kind of attack. With the IRA it was car bombs. With al-Qa’ida it has almost become a cliché but multiple explosions in the same place are regarded as hallmarks of Islamist terror.”

Although the Boston devices are generally smaller than those used by Islamic extremists, the reported use of ball-bearings in backpacks filled with explosives has fuelled speculation that al-Qa’ida operatives may have been involved. Such devices have often been used by insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Professor Neumann added: “A bomb with ball bearing seems homemade, the type of thing you would build if you don’t really know how to build a bomb, perhaps with some instructions or guide on the Internet.”

As well as Patriot’s Day, yesterday also marked the 65th anniversary of Israeli independence, leading commentators, including the Boston Globe’s Lawrence Harmon, to speculate on links to Islamic extremism.

Professor Neumann reportedly called the attacks “amateurish right-wing, or amateurish al-Qa’ida”, adding that investigators will now be looking online for individuals or groups boasting of the attacks or claiming responsibility.

He said: “The point of terrorism is to communicate a message through acts of violence. The IRA used to call a newspaper, and now you often have claims on the Internet.”

Professor Neumann went on to say that, as there currently appear to have been no such claims, it would suggest the culprit was either acting alone or as part of a small group loosely connected to a larger network or ideology.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 April 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

The two bombs that ripped through the crowds at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding more than 170, were fashioned out of pressure cookers and packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings, a person briefed on the investigation said Tuesday.

The details on the apparently crude but deadly explosives emerged as investigators appealed to the public for amateur video and photos that might yield clues, and the chief FBI agent in Boston vowed “we will go to the ends of the Earth” to find those responsible.

A person who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was still going on said that the explosives were put in 6-liter pressure cookers, placed in black duffel bags and left on the ground. They were packed with shrapnel, the person said.

The person said law enforcement officials have some of the bomb components but do not yet know what was used to set off the explosives.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/explosions-boston-marathon-finish-line-18960342#.UW2EmcrR728

http://www.ehow.com/list_6978584_dangers-pressure-cookers_.html

Explosions

As the name indicates, pressure cookers cook by building up incredible pressure inside the chamber. When the pressure becomes too much for the cooker to hold in, the pressure must escape somewhere. This may include an explosion that could result in injury, and will certainly cause a major mess in the kitchen.

If the cooker is damaged from abuse or has become weakened by unnoticed cracks in the cast metal, the cooker could explode. Explosions can also happen if the cooker is filled more than half-full with food or two-thirds full with liquid. This will not give enough empty space inside the cooker for the steam to expand. In addition, overfilling can leave food particles jammed in the valves, which will not allow adequate pressure to be released when needed.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 April 2013 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

I am betting they find these are the result of ‘home grown terrorists’ hoping to incite anger against other groups or the government.  And it sure didnt’ take long for the conspiracy theorists to bring out their vision that it was all a government plot. 
check it out

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 April 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

We may wish to merge this with the other thread.

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2013 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

I prefer the message given by this site: http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

AH.. he’s edited the message a bit. He did have a note saying he’d bought the site to prevent conspiracy nutters from getting their paws on it.

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2013 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I saw a video attempting to show some video manipulation (to blame the government/TV) which showed a red object disappear as a man walked past it. This would have been puzzling if there wasn’t another video from a different angle showing the item as a red cloth that blows to the right. Alas, the internet community of conspiracists will always look for the answer which suits their view of the world, not the logical answer.

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

On the pressure cooker thing…I’m a little surprised to see that this is still available over on xkcd.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 17 April 2013 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
Smerk - 17 April 2013 06:13 AM

On the pressure cooker thing…I’m a little surprised to see that this is still available over on xkcd.

True… though anyone trying to make FOOF in their kitchen is going to be rather disasterously disappointed with the results…

Signature 

1 of 2