April 1st - April Fools’ Day
Posted: 03 April 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 02 April 2013 10:23 AM

Gray, how ‘close’ IS your retirement?

Well, at the rate I’m going, a lot further away than I would like.  Practically, it’a about 7 years away.  Then I’m going to retire and sponge off my daughter for a while.  smile  That’s the nice thing about offspring.  hehe

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 April 2013 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

Another day almost over.  We are trying to hire a new tech here and I had a prosepective hiree in today to do a bit of job shadowing.  He seemed like he had an idea of what he was talking about so I suspect the boss is going to hire him.  From what I’ve been told he is the best of the bunch that they interviewed.  Unfortunately we need more than 1 person here as we are down 3 people right now.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 April 2013 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Oooh…I like the idea of having someone in for a test-run before hiring them.  Must save the business a lot of grief by not hiring someone based on their resume and an interview or two.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I view this the same way I view women who go in to an expensive store, ‘buy’ a VERY expensive gown, wear it to a banquet that evening with the price tag tucked inside, then return it to the store the next day and get their money back. 

A ‘test-run’ may be fine for the employer but for the prospective individual this means that for that period of time he/she can’t be pursing other viable employment when they may have no funds to keep them going during your trial.  Of course, an employer may pay a pittance to that individual, use them to provide a stop-gap service and then send them on their way. 

Forgive me, I do not approve of either of these.  I’ve seen both too often.

[note:  suggesting that the prospective knows all this going in is also cruel too since the employer ALSO knows the prospective is also needy or desperate.  If an employee does not ‘perform’, you simply let them go….a trial isn’t necessary.  I have also given ‘employers’ a trial period too, they just didn’t know it.  Tit for tat]  It’s too early in the morning for me to be tolerant.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 06 April 2013 09:04 AM

I view this the same way I view women who go in to an expensive store, ‘buy’ a VERY expensive gown, wear it to a banquet that evening with the price tag tucked inside, then return it to the store the next day and get their money back. 

A ‘test-run’ may be fine for the employer but for the prospective individual this means that for that period of time he/she can’t be pursing other viable employment when they may have no funds to keep them going during your trial.  Of course, an employer may pay a pittance to that individual, use them to provide a stop-gap service and then send them on their way. 

[note:  suggesting that the prospective knows all this going in is also cruel too since the employer ALSO knows the prospective is also needy or desperate.  If an employee does not ‘perform’, you simply let them go….a trial isn’t necessary.  I have also given ‘employers’ a trial period too, they just didn’t know it.  Tit for tat]  It’s too early in the morning for me to be tolerant.

While I can appreciate your view I have to disagree with you.  The job this person is being hired for is a very technical position that requires a lot of specific skills and knowledge.  An interview will give you an idea but people can fudge an interview. Having the person come in for a couple of hours to see what their actual knowledge and skills are will tell us a lot more.  I doubt that having the guy here for a couple of hours is seriously going to prevent him from pursuing other viable employment as it would be equivalent to going for an interview.  In addition the opportunity was requested by the hiree I really doubt it inconvenienced him. 

As the person who would have to work with this guy I want to know if he does have the knowledge and skills to do the job.  If he doesn’t then it was a waste of his time and ours.  I can understand there might be situations where the employer is taking advantage of someone but I doubt that is something that happens very often.  Most people who are looking for a job are quite happy to be able to get in and job shadow for a bit.  It lets them know if they are going to like the job and workplace and it lets the employer know if they are going to fit in.  Yes, they may be disapponted if they don’t get the job but life can be disappointing at time in many respects.  On they other hand when I was doing hiring, I’ve had someone come in and then decide they didn’t like the place or the work and turn down the position when I was ready to offer it to them.  In that case someone who was wasting my time and leading me on.  I actually had one guy come in, go thru the process and sign the papers only not to show up the next day and call in saying he changed his mind. 

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 06 April 2013 09:04 AM

It occurred to me that you are probably looking at job shadowing being a long term proposition.  This was only for a couple of hours.  That is plenty long enough for me to determine if someone has the skills and knowledge necessary for the job. 

In your analogy of the woman and the dress I would have looked at the store as the employer and the woman as the prospective employee.  From my point of view the woman is taking advantage of the employer by using the dress but not really being interested in it and returning it.  I can remember one incident when I was living in Victoria.  The wife of a fairly prominent politican had done exactly what with a dress from a high end store.  However the newspaper was also at the event and captured a picture of her partying it up which made it into the social section.  Someone at the store noticed it whereupon they sued her for fraud because she had returned the dress after the party saying she hadn’t used it and just didn’t like it.  It caused a fair bit of embarrassment for both the politician and his wife.  I doubt she ever tried that again. 

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 06 April 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

You were right in the second post gray, I assumed a week or two weeks ‘trial’.  I’ve seen employers deliberately have someone come in on a ‘trial’ basis NOT for two hours but for several weeks to do a very specific job, pay pittance and then tell him/her that they didn’t meet specs and send them on their merry way.  AND I’ve seen the same employer do this over and over again even admitting before hand that they had NO intention of keeping the individual.  (this was not considered a ‘contract’ employment either)

A two-hour ‘trial’ is not the same thing, that’s expected in many interview processes where a prospective is tested (even in low-paying, part-time retail positions there is testing on several platforms.)  Also where an individual is interviewed over a two-day stent for very high profile or as you said, technical positions (even I, as an idiot, was one who interviewed with several people for a couple of positions).  THAT isn’t the same thing, nor do I call it a ‘trial’ though, only part of the testing process.

And yes, I had friends who actually went to stores to get a dress they KNEW and even told us, they were going to take right back once a formal event was done.  Which is I’m afraid, like the process above, just as much fraud as the woman and the dress.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 April 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

Graduation is 2 WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!!  gulp  ‘Scuse me while a panic just a smidge…

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 20 April 2013 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Is there still time enough to fail all of your classes so that you won’t have to graduate?  Then you won’t need to panic.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Acci, I do wonder how many MIGHT actually do that in order to remain in a ‘safe place’.  Graduation is always scarey because that also means stepping out into the world, getting employment in the area you’ve studied so hard to excel.  Crafty, I think that’s the true ‘graduation’.  Have you started applying anywhere yet or looking in those areas you want to apply?

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

I haven’t started applying yet.  Up until a few days ago, I didn’t even know how or where to look.  Since that’s the basis of my capstone project (how to actually become an editor), I’ve done some interviews this last week.  Got some good tips and advice. smile  I am currently working for a local magazine, though since it’s fairly new, they don’t quite have the budget yet to pay me.  I was told that the copy editor (that’s me) is next to be added to the budget, and hopefully I won’t have to wait long.  Meanwhile, I’m getting experience to add to my resume.

ETA: While I don’t want to fail any of my classes, I’d love the chance to audit some of the other classes available that just didn’t fit in my major or weren’t offered at a time when I could take them.  For instance, I’m taking Irish Lit this semester instead of Brit Lit 3, since the latter won’t be available again until fall semester, and then not from the professor I’d prefer.  If I had the chance, it would be great to audit my preferred prof’s class.  Also, some of the linguistics classes might be fun, especially without the pressure of having the class being a requirement.  smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

2 of 5