1 of 1
Maryland woman gets ticket for driving 2 miles under the speed limit
Posted: 13 March 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

So remember:  1.  make sure your speedometer registers on the nose exactly what the officer’s does; 2. make sure you keep your eye on the speedometer at all times and never mind the road.  And be VERY sure you are not a mile OVER or a mile UNDER that speed limit…..........better yet, put your car on ‘cruise-control’ and don’t worry about breaking for front moving traffic either because if they have slow down or stop for a flat tire, they are the villains, not you. 

Maryland woman gets ticket for driving 2 miles under the speed limit

A Maryland woman will be headed to court after she was ticketed for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95.

NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, was driving 63 mph in a 65 mph zone.

She was reportedly driving in the left lane when she was pulled over.

The woman said she’d never had a ticket before and had slowed down on Friday due to heavy winds.

Police say that driving too slowly can impede traffic.

The driver said she’s filed a complaint with state police and will fight the ticket in court.

She has at least one group on her side. AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman John Townsend said the ticket is “silly because it’s sending the wrong message and that is, ‘We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit, but if you drive below the speed limit, then you’re penalized for that.’”

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15

That does sound ridiculous. I mean if a person was driving too slowly they would be guilty of holding up traffic and should be charged. But 2 mph under the speed limit is not too slow at all.

I hope the charge gets erased . I wouldn’t be surprised if the police officer gets some kind of a stern lecture from a superior.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 14 March 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Driving under the mximum speed limit is logical, there are countless times you wont be going that fast.

The UK has a minimum speed limit on certain roads but very few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limits_in_the_United_Kingdom#Minimum_speed_limits

Posted: 14 March 2013 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Those minimum speeds go a long the line like this: If you want to drive at such and such road your vehicle must be at least so and so fast.

Simply to avoid tractors on a highway etc.

And yes you can get a ticket for driving to slow, but than you must be really doing 60km/h on a 120km/h stretch or something like that. And totally will get fined when driving on the left lane (tha fastlane for overhauling in Europe) if you pull a stunt like that. However, if the wind is up, or it rains, or snowfall or whatever reasonable reason for driving under the speedlimit, you can´t and won´t be fined.

And a ticket for 2 mp/h under the max.speed reeks to something more to this story.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 14 March 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

Fixed the link.

Unfairly Balanced - 14 March 2013 05:23 AM

And a ticket for 2 mp/h under the max.speed reeks to something more to this story.

Agreed. Taking a guess I would say that she was driving in the left (fast) lane (as stated in the story), there was faster traffic building up behind her and the right lane was open where she could have moved over and didn’t. But that’s pure speculation. It could just as easily been a cop having a bad day. (But from the sounds of the weather report it doesn’t seem like a great day to be out and about in the weather, especially if you’re having a bad day.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 14 March 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

She should be able to get off by claiming it was speedometer error and she was actually doing 65 according to her speedo.  There is always a small amount of error that can vary dependant upon things like tire pressure, tire size, etc.  That is why most cops will give you a few mph over the limit before they will write a ticket.  I’m thinking that since the left lane is supposed to be used for passing everyone was going to the right lane to pass which would cause other problems.  If she felt that the weather did not warrant going the speed limit she should have been in the right lane for sure. 

However writing her a ticket for 2 mph under the limit is rather assinine.  The cop must have really been pissed at her or something. 

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1