1 of 1
Meteor shower over Russia sees meteorites hit Earth
Posted: 15 February 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I have to wonder why some people keep video cameras going while they are driving. I’m talking about the ones who video the road ahead of them. Story here.

Meteor shower over Russia sees meteorites hit Earth

More than 500 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, sending fireballs crashing to Earth, shattering windows and damaging buildings.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1500 kilometres east of Moscow.

A fireball blazed across the horizon, leaving a long white trail in its wake which could be seen as far as 200 kilometres away in Yekaterinburg. Car alarms went off, windows shattered and mobile phone networks were interrupted.

“I was driving to work, it was quite dark, but it suddenly became as bright as if it was day,” said Viktor Prokofiev, 36, a resident of Yekaterinburg in the Urals Mountains.

“I felt like I was blinded by headlights,” he said.

No fatalities were reported but President Vladimir Putin, who was due to host Finance Ministry officials from the Group of 20 nations in Moscow, and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev were informed.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27

FIRST !!!1!!!

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 February 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

One of the car videos is so stationary and from the middle of the dashboard that I think the camera was attached or clipped and not being held by hand at all.  As for the cleric entertaining a godly message….if that was the case (maybe it really is) then there have been so many messages just in the past few days and certainly over the years from hitting meteors, asteroids, lightening (lightning struck the Vatican at almost the same time the Pope resigned), climate change, assault gun debates, that I’m pretty sure ‘God’ must be extremely patient waiting on that ‘busy’ signal which is a far cry from the ‘God’ of rage, anger, war and slaughter from other cultures.  Russia has a history of meteor and/or asteroid hits…some with devastating consequences:  http://en.wiki.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Some info about the dash-cam footage (bitage?).
In Russia, insurance companies want you to install one. They even give you a discount then. Simply because the driving is, let´s say it politely, poor. So dash-cams are used to settle accidents.
It´s also why you see so many weird road behaviour on YouTube.
And since they are always on, they capture a lot of things. And today was a glorious amount of captured footage of something terrific. Every image is data. And I´m sure in the coming days more footage will be posted from all kind´s of cctv cameras etc.
Making this the best covered “impact” ever.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 February 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Jeeze, that’s actually pretty cool though!  The ‘dash-cams’.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 15 February 2013 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Hmmm, makes me think I should rig up a mount for my Go-Pro on the dash and have it on whenever I go driving in the city.  The things I could capture would make great YouTube fodder.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

15.02.2013, Chelyabinsk, office of the governor, morning meeting

09:15: Governor: ..yes, there are many problems, we are being criticized constantly, but Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone!
09:20: ......!!!1!!

From the comments at cracked.com (yadayada language warning) about Russians don´t giving a .... about it.

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 16 February 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

The seeming reaction of verbal ‘control’ by the drivers is more a characteristic of being solo/alone in their vehicle, which is CLEARLY different from those inside the buildings and then running outside holding cell phone cameras where others are also panicking about them.

Signature 

1 of 1