1 of 1
School Bans Sesame Street Gang T-Shirts
Posted: 24 May 2006 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060523/D8HPOG580.html

BROCKTON, Mass. (AP) - Brockton High School has banned T-shirts with Sesame Street characters. But these are no regular pictures of Bert and Ernies.

On some, Oscar the Grouch emerges from his garbage can, wielding a 9 mm handgun. On others, Bert and Ernie are standing in a gang posture, armed with automatic weapons.

“We were amazed,” said the school’s principal, Susan Szachowicz. “You focus on the Sesame Street character. But the more we looked at it, the more we saw the things in it, the guns, the gang stuff.”

There have only been a few shirts at school, but officials said students are being told to stop to stop wearing them because of the pro-gang message. School officials also said they violate the school dress policy.

Last week, Brockton was awarded $685,000 in state anti-gang funding.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 24 May 2006 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Schools should just witch to uniforms or white button up shirts with navy/black pants.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 May 2006 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
Maegan - 24 May 2006 12:49 PM

Schools should just witch to uniforms or white button up shirts with navy/black pants.

I agree.

Dan, about to open a school-uniform business

Posted: 24 May 2006 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

The more I spend on clothing a 15 yr old girl the more I agree

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 26 May 2006 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-03-12

I would have gladly worn a uniform to school, only however, if they allowed me to wear slacks and not a skirt.

Honestly I think its a bit sexist that some school uniforms require girls to wear a skirt while boys can wear slacks.

(I just hate the feel of my thighs rubbing together… hose or no raspberry )

Emi

Posted: 26 May 2006 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmm. . .even with school uniforms, kids will still find a way.  It might be bracelets, or the way they have their socks rolled, or the way they have their showlaces crossed.  You could make the kids not wear anything at all, and they’d still use the way they part their hair or whatever to show what group or gang they belong to (“Is that a gang freckle you’ve got there on your leg, sonny?  Quick, get the skinning knife!”).

I suppose we could start blindfolding students, so that those types of symbols won’t be as effective any more.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 26 May 2006 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Children and youths have a need for safe boundaries that uniforms provide, yet they also seek to identify themselves as self-aware individuals.  Youngsters have always needed to make their own statement.  That DOES frequently lead them dress or express with a misguided mindset of being unique even while they follow the exact trends of other peers. 

Curbing inappropriate, provacative or inflamatory attire whether it’s a shirt or bracelet, may be the safest way of permitting our children be who they are….........if you take a good look at clothing choices they are making, it is fairly ‘uniform’ even if not adult selected uniforms

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 26 May 2006 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

At our school we had a dress code of black, white and grey.
Football colours, provocative clothing, and jeans were strictly not allowed.
Of course, I loved it. I just got to wear black the entire time!

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 26 May 2006 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Accipiter - 26 May 2006 08:15 AM

Hmm. . .even with school uniforms, kids will still find a way.  It might be bracelets, or the way they have their socks rolled, or the way they have their showlaces crossed.  You could make the kids not wear anything at all, and they’d still use the way they part their hair or whatever to show what group or gang they belong to (“Is that a gang freckle you’ve got there on your leg, sonny?  Quick, get the skinning knife!”).

I suppose we could start blindfolding students, so that those types of symbols won’t be as effective any more.

My friend’s daughter was enrolled in a Christian private school…Her socks had to be a certain length, her shoes were dress - so no laces.  She was not allowed to wear jewelry or makeup.  She was not allowed to part her hair more than once.

The girls were allowed to wear pants, but their shirts had to remain tucked in, so they couldn’t really wear low riders.  They had to purchase shirts with the school logo on them…and they came in white, navy blue, sky blue, & grey.  They had to own at LEAST one white long sleeved school shirt, with a jacket for award ceremonies, picture day, and any other event the staff deemed “dress” only.  Oh…and their pants had to technically be “slacks”, not jeans, khakis, or track pants.  The school of course allowed you to buy pants, jumpers, & skirts (knee length)...but you could also purchase them in most of the local department stores.

A lot of the elementary schools here have “uniforms”.  Like 3 days a week they have to wear white or blue shirts with blue, black or khaki colored shorts/pants/skirts/jumpers.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 27 May 2006 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Bah.. Just get ‘em all bright orange one-peice coveralls, with the school’s name on the back…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1