1 of 2
Mars One Released Their Qualifications For Their Astronauts Would You Go?
Posted: 09 January 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-06-04

So the non profit Mars one is planning to settle Mars in 2023 permanently. They just released their qualifications for their astronauts. Would you go to Mars on a one way trip, grow your own food, and slowly die of radiation?

http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

2023 is 10 years away,
the best candidates for this mission are most likely currently aged between 7 and the early teens.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 09 January 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

7 months in space travel to get there and 10 years of prep… ...
confused

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-04
Sharruma - 09 January 2013 07:38 PM

2023 is 10 years away,
the best candidates for this mission are most likely currently aged between 7 and the early teens.

I understand what you’re saying but from the website:

The age range for candidates will be limited. While the exact upper limits have not yet been determined, the lower age limit for applicants to apply for the selection program will be 18 years. By the time this person would land on Mars as an astronaut, he or she would be 28 years of age.

And even if you are not from that age my question still stands. Would you do it?

http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-04

Never mind. Re-read the idea of it.

Posted: 10 January 2013 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

They still have to solve something simple as a good night of sleep.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 January 2013 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Yes, I would go.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 10 January 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

At least when you get there you will have a flower to smell cheese

linky

Published: 01/05/2013 11:30 AM EST on SPACE.com

New photos of Mars from NASA’s Curiosity rover have sparked a buzz of discussion over an odd formation that some have dubbed a “flower” embedded in a Martian rock. The rover has also found a snake-like rock formation winding across the Red Planet’s surface.

The so-called Mars “flower” photo was snapped on Dec. 19 by the microscope-like Mars Hand Lens Imager at the end of Curiosity’s robotic arm. At the lower left of the image is a strange, apparently transparent formation that some Internet forum users on the website claimed looked much like a flower, according to NBCNews.com’s photoblog.

High res image available here @ SOL 132 Mars Hand Lens Imager 2012-12-19 17:44:33 UTC
(for some reason MoH blacklists the URL for the photo mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00132/mhli/0132MH0158001000E1_DXXX.jpg)

Image Attachments
23229flowerbig.jpg
 Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 10 January 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

If I weren’t married, didn’t have any kids, and were about 8-10 inches shorter I would go.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 11 January 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I like the idea of going and colonizing another planet,
but I don’t think I could do it.

Contact me in about a thousand years when the colony is up and running
and maybe I’ll be willing to visit.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 13 January 2013 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m just wondering about the ethical issues and possible legal questions.

You wouldn’t let a person commit suicide. Why would you let someone get stranded on Mars when they can’t honestly say for sure they won’t have a nervous breakdown (or worse) when they get there? I mean nobody’s had the experience of being stranded on another planet (OK, nobody we know of) so how can somebody really give an honest answer to how they’d cope?

If they do have a severe mental breakdown after being stranded on Mars would public opinion force a country to send a rescue mission? If that happened who would pay for it? Would there be legal prosecution as a result of it and if so who would be liable?

We are already in a situation where, for example, men and women risk their own lives to rescue adventurers be in a wild part of a forest or in mountainous seas off some coast. If a country did feel compelled to send a rescue mission to Mars then I presume they too would be asking their people to risk their own lives in the attempt.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 13 January 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

The issue of ‘suicide’ typically attaches with a number of other mentally unstable psychological factors such as murder, abuse, manipulation, depression etc. which is why it’s mentioned and filtered as dangerous to others. Even a stable person, under unusual circumstances or alone and suffering may eventually elect to end their life.  But an individual who becomes frightened, confused or angry (which are among the factors that lead suicide) can do great harm to others around them before ending their own life.  Bad or ‘iffy’ wiring can short-circuit the entire program.

Exploration has always been risky business and even the first humans who left tribes alone or in small groups knew this even on primitive levels when they began the first treks.  So did our very first forefathers when they stepped aboard their first boats to cross an ocean they were sure would lead to a cliff ending they might fall off of and into a great void.  Yet, they did it, yearned to do it and suffered to do it.  The beginning of all we humans have become and will be is ingrained in our genetic code…...........we were the first bacterium and viruses to step out of the first ‘soup’ onto dry land and our walk-about desperately needs to get off this planet to find the edge of this universe and the next one beyond it.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2