1 of 1
Father hires gaming assassins to kill son online
Posted: 09 January 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

A man in China hired virtual “assassins” to hunt down his son in online video games and kill off his avatar, according to local media.

The man, named by the Kotaku East blog as Mr Feng, was concerned about the amount of time his 23-year-old unemployed son was spending online.

He hoped his actions would deter his son from playing the games, he is reported to have said.

His son eventually asked one of the gamers why they kept targeting him.

“It’s not going to do much for family relations,” Prof Mark Griffiths, a gambling and addictions expert at Nottingham Trent University told the BBC.

“I’ve never heard of that kind of intervention before, but I don’t think these top-down approaches work. Most excessive game playing is usually a symptom of an underlying problem.”

Prof Griffiths said he heard from many parents who were worried about their children’s gaming habits but often it was not an addiction.

“I’ve spent 25 years studying excessive video game playing,” he said.

“I’ve come across very excessive players - playing for 10 to 14 hours a day - but for a lot of these people it causes no detrimental problems if they are not employed, aren’t in relationships and don’t have children.

“It’s not the time you spend doing something, it’s the impact it has on your life.”

Father and son are said to have reconciled but World of Warcraft expert Olivia Grace said she did not think Mr Feng’s actions would necessarily act as a deterrent.

“Being killed by someone happens all the time,” she said.

“People are just like that online.”

Source

Now that´s new twist on infanticide.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 January 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I draw all the time and one PC with three LARGE external hard drives are devoted entirely to JUST that.  Soooo I don’t think I can say that I’m different than these people at all.  Neither are social-networking people who keep their computers open talking on all kinds of forums. 

I do agree that it’s only a ‘problem’ if you have a job, children, spouse etc. who is being neglected OR if odd or risky deviant behavior is developing as a side-effect of the particular interest whether it’s gaming, socializing, drawing or writing music etc.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 January 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27
hulitoons - 09 January 2013 12:11 PM

“... social-networking people who keep their computers open talking on all kinds of forums… “
“... it’s only a ‘problem’ if you have a job, ...

I have a job. I own an internetcafe.
No problem whatsoever.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 January 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

....job, children, spouse etc. who is being neglected OR if odd or risky deviant behavior is developing as a side-effect….

Hmmmm you edited what I said in its entirety LOL!!!  I don’t think EITHER of us has a ‘side-effect problem’!  An internet cafe has to be grand fun too!!!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 January 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve been playing an online game. I do find I spend too much time on it and other things don’t get done. So I’m trying to cut down on playing it.

It’s a game where people build bases they have to defend. We build up armies to attack other bases. We also form alliances, have “friendly alliances” and “enemy alliances” as well as “neutral alliances”.

I have noticed a change in the game. I’ve noticed lately that people tend to get emotionally vested in the game. People’s feelings seem to get hurt when their bases get attacked more than a few times. I’ve heard there are a few “crazy people” playing the game and I get the feeling they can be abusive to other players when they get attacked.

I’ve also noticed both parents and their children play. I sense the parents can get really angry if their children have their bases wiped out by other players. Yet the children can almost “ask to be wiped out” by being overly aggressive against certain players.

It’s like people are living their lives vicariously in this online game. I have to admit I’m doing myself to a degree. But I’m really starting to notice how possible it is for people to go over the top in there emotional reactions in the game.

In a way it’s no different to how some people get involved in team sports in the real world, like football. We’ve all heard stories of destructive fan riots after games. So I guess I shouldn’t be surprised this kind of emotional aggressiveness would be appearing in these online games.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 January 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I believe you painted that picture very well Peter.  Since I am not competitive in anything and have never been, I’ve only played games that require cooperation or just solitary games against myself. 

I do think you’re right about budding and building aggressive behaviors that press on hormonal drives even while not being in direct contact.  It does sort of get back to real weapons that can be used lavishly and quite effectively from a clean and even deniable or anonymous distance.

Signature 

1 of 1