1 of 5
Recommend a good book, please
Posted: 23 May 2006 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I just finished “The Time Travelers Wife” and have to say it just might be the best thing I’ve read in years.

“NNNNN” by Carl Reiner was fall off the bed funny.

Steve Martini’s “Double Tap” bored me a bit.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 23 May 2006 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

If you’re looking for fiction…

The Death Gate Series by Margaret Weis & Tracy somethingorother are pretty good.  I haven’t finished the series but I’m not normally a science fiction fan…but I can’t put these down.  A friend recommended them to me.  He’s from Italy, and he used them to learn English when he was a student.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 23 May 2006 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I loved ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’.

‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’ by Lionel Shriver is pretty engrossing, too.

If you’re into intelligent, eccentric humour, the Tom Holt books are well worth a look.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I hear “the davinchi code” is pretty good, although I havent read it myself. I quite like the hobbit, but I’m supposing most people have read that already…

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2005-06-14

How about Hippo eats dwarf. I heard that is an incredible book.

Posted: 23 May 2006 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Oh, if you want a funny christianity parody, I suggest Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 23 May 2006 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Of course, my absolute favorite book in the world is Pride and Prejudice, but I’m a nerdy female so it is only to be expected.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 23 May 2006 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

An excellent book, Scott Turow’s newest, not a courtroom drama, is ‘Ordinary Heroes’.

I finished it a month ago, it is one of those that you regret finishing.

It is primarily set in WWll.

Posted: 23 May 2006 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
Razela - 23 May 2006 11:39 PM

Of course, my absolute favorite book in the world is Pride and Prejudice, but I’m a nerdy female so it is only to be expected.

I did not know girls could be Nerds!

I thought that was a mutually exclusive term, like ‘Honest Contractor’

Dan the Honest Contractor

Posted: 23 May 2006 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah.. Nerdy girls exist.

As far as good books, I’m rather fond of the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (yes, two Fs). It’s…. surreal. On the surface, it’s alternate earth criminal drama, but then it *really* goes down the rabbit hole as the series goes on. THing being, it does so while still making sense and maintaining readability.

Good Omens is good, as is just about anything written by Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books have proven as prolific as Piers Anthony’s Xanth novels, with one important difference: They don’t suck. If you want a good entry into Pratchett, besides Good Omens, ‘The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents’ is a good one. It’s set in the Discworld, but doesn’t touch any of the continuity of the other books, happily dancing off by itself. It does have Death of Rats (aka The Grim Squeaker) in it, so it’s good.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 May 2006 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Diana Gabaldon Outlander which is the begining of a series and Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.  I also enjoyed Stephen King’s Gunslinger series.  I know King is known somewhat as a hack, but this series taps into America’s popular cowboy mythos.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-05-25
Razela - 23 May 2006 11:39 PM

I adore Pride and Prejudice. And yes, nerdy females do exist. In fact, we’re quite common. As for funny Christian sort of parody, I recommend The Case of the Vanishing Corpse.

1 of 5