1 of 1
Dogs learning to drive
Posted: 05 December 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

I’m guessing this is some kind of viral-style campaign to get more people to donate to the SPCA.
[cue jokes about them still being better than Asian drivers]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/05/video-.html

Dogs learning to drive
New Zealand SPCA publicity campaign centres on canine driving course

New Zealand’s Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is putting three of its rescued dogs through an intensive course — teaching them to drive.

It’s part of a publicity campaign in South Auckland to raise awareness about the intelligence of man’s best friend, and to encourage people to adopt rescue dogs.

The plan began with master animal trainer Mark Vette, New Zealand’s TV3 reports. The students include Monty, an 18-month-old giant schnauzer, Ginny, a one-year-old whippet crossbreed, and Porter, a 10-month-old beardie crossbreed.

The dogs are being trained to steer and shift gears, media reports say, and trainers are using both a rig that can simulate automobile motion and tests with a specially adapted Mini automobile.

When the teaching is complete, the dogs are expected to demonstrate their abilities in a televised test.

Posted: 05 December 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m thinking your right.  I’m having a hard time picturing how they could accomplish this.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 December 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16
AussieBruce - 05 December 2012 11:42 AM

I’m guessing this is some kind of viral-style campaign to get more people to donate to the SPCA.

I’m not sure why you would think that. Other than, you know, the multiple times “publicity campaign” is used in the story. wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 05 December 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, I don’t drive though I know how, and I and others I’ve watched really need opposable thumbs to grip/hold onto and turn the steering wheel…...........

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 December 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

It was a ‘big’ enough story I saw it on the news last night. They’re driving electric go-carts altered to be dog friendly. Top speed is walking pace. Yes, they do ‘change gears’ and accelerate/stop, but its not really driving, more like going to a ride for 5 meters.

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

They covered it on my news too. The dogs do look like they’re doing an okay job of it, and have things set up for them… but yeah, let’s keep them off the freeways, please.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1