Hoorah for Darwin - U.S. roach-eating contest winner collapses, dies
Posted: 10 October 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

He sure nailed that competition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/10/09/roach-eating-contentant-dies.html

U.S. roach-eating contest winner collapses, dies

The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 60 kilometres north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Posted: 10 October 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Internal Revenge.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

omg, well, I sure hope a follow-up story after the autopsy will tell us all what happened.  I do know that all of us, every day, eat roach parts, insect eggs etc. that have become part of the foods we buy and then consume: How Many Insect Parts and Rodent Hairs are Allowed in Your Food?
Then there’s this:  Bugging Out: Chocolate Allergy Linked to Roaches

I know I ate many when I lived in northern Africa.  Our bread at boarding school literally squirmed with weevils that we just plucked out and tossed while we ate.  After awhile you just got tired of digging them out, closed your eyes and just ate and eventually you just ignored the extra protein.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 10 October 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, the trick is, he wasn’t the only one doing the eating. A few other guys did the same contest, ate the same bugs, had no problems.

My money is on something entirely unrelated to the roaches, like a heart attack or ruptured spleen.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 14 October 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Robin Bobcat - 10 October 2012 04:32 PM

Well, the trick is, he wasn’t the only one doing the eating. A few other guys did the same contest, ate the same bugs, had no problems.

My money is on something entirely unrelated to the roaches, like a heart attack or ruptured spleen.

Maybe he missed chwing a couple sufficiently and the bugs were doing some eating of their own.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 November 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Apparently he choked.

An autopsy released Monday showed that a man who died after winning an insect-eating contest choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches. Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach was unable to breathe because his airway was obstructed, according to the report from the Broward County medical examiner’s office. Mr. Archbold died after eating the bugs as well as worms in the Oct. 6 contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach. About 30 people ate the insects, but the authorities said none of the other contestants became ill. The grand prize was a python.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

1 of 1