1 of 1
Monster in the lake
Posted: 22 September 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

Story here. I’m not sure if it should go under “In The News” or “Hoaxes. Although I suppose technically it is a news story.

Is Siberia’s Lake Labynkyr really home to a monster?

- Scientist finds strange object in lake
- Calls for expedition to confirm monster

LOCALS call it the Devil. They say it lifts up boats and wails when it attacks. Now underwater sonar shows they might be telling the truth.

Associate Professor of Biogeography Lyudmila Emeliyanova told The Siberian Times that on her mission to Lake Labynkyr in remote Siberia she recorded ‘several seriously big underwater objects’ with sonar readings.

So convinced is she that there is something down there that she has called for a new scientific mission to solve the mystery of the monster.

“It was our fourth or fifth day at the lake when our echo sounding device registered a huge object in the water under our boat,” Ms Emeliyanova told The Times.

“The object was very dense, of homogeneous structure, surely not a fish nor a shoal of fish, and it was above the bottom. I was very surprised but not scared and not shocked, after all we did not see this animal, we only registered a strange object in the water. But I can clearly say - at the moment, as a scientist, I cannot offer you any explanation of what this object might be.”

“I can’t say we literally found and touched something unusual there but we did register with our echo sounding device several seriously big underwater objects, bigger than a fish, bigger than even a group of fish.

“This mysterious and very deep lake still has some secret to tell us.”

Lake Labynkyr is located 5000 kilometres east of Moscow. It is 60 kilometres away from town of Oymyakon – the coldest place on earth. But while every other lake in the area becomes an ice-skating rink in winter - this lake does not freeze over. Ever.

It also has no plant life.

The native Evenk and Yakut people have always claimed an underwater creature lurks in their lake. It has become known as “Russia’s Loch Ness Monster”. But talk of this creature actually started before anyone spoke of Nessie in Scotland.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Let me guess… original story came from the ever truthfull and dependable AnaNova “news agency”.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
Unfairly Balanced - 22 September 2012 06:18 AM

Let me guess… original story came from the ever truthfull and dependable AnaNova “news agency”.

Yeah. Probably.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I’m curious about the ‘cause’ though since ‘Lake’ Labynkyr is really a reservoir.  The ‘lake’ my dad built our summer cottage on many years ago was formed by glaciers and is the middle one in a series of three connected lakes.  It is fed mainly by very large springs that surge at times in massive events.  It’s also VERY deep and gargantuan (4-5 feet in length) turtles occasionally do come up but are seldom seen on land even though they have been seen in the water.  These and other turtles often collect in the first of the three connected lakes, off in a cove so well hidden that few even knew it existed years ago (I’m sure it is now because of satellite and aerial photos).  The third lake has no plant life and is not fed by springs but the flow from the other two lakes via channels.

I am wondering if the phenomena at Labynkyr might be from sudden spring surges like those we have?  Would or could those great surges show on equipment?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Life Will Find A Way…

Best truth ever said in a fantasy movie.

IMHO

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1