1 of 2
My slightly embarrasing programming problem
Posted: 12 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

There is this program I have to use that comes under the heading of Git. The software I have to use is TortoiseGit. Then there is github. When I have to transfer the files I have to either “push” or “pull” with “Git”.

I have this problem with maintaining a straight face. Using “TortoiseGit” to “Pull”* files off the “Git” repository. I could be in the foulest of moods but this could crack me up laughing.

Where the hell do these programmers get these names from? Don’t they know what words like “Git” means to some people?

I’m desperately hoping I wind up in a job that uses different software for this task.

*That’s an actual command in the menu.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 12 September 2012 08:50 AM

Where the hell do these programmers get these names from? Don’t they know what words like “Git” means to some people?

*That’s an actual command in the menu.

I must be naive, what does ‘git’ mean?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 September 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Slightly more offensive version of ‘idiot’, is my understanding.

Yeah, there’s always a few odd things in programming. I think my favorite was the ‘Binary Load’ command in BASIC, which was ‘BLOAD’... it just sounded rude.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 September 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Robin Bobcat - 12 September 2012 01:35 PM

I think my favorite was the ‘Binary Load’ command in BASIC, which was ‘BLOAD’... it just sounded rude.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 12 September 2012 01:35 PM

Slightly more offensive version of ‘idiot’, is my understanding.

Yeah, there’s always a few odd things in programming. I think my favorite was the ‘Binary Load’ command in BASIC, which was ‘BLOAD’... it just sounded rude.

Yes. Even when I don’t feel like laughing there is a part of me that feels awkward when I hear it used in conversation.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 13 September 2012 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

Could be worse, I suppose. It could be called TortoiseWank.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 September 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 13 September 2012 12:37 AM

Could be worse, I suppose. It could be called TortoiseWank.

Fascinating idea. Maybe I could use my programming skills to…......

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 13 September 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Well I’ve just pushed, then committed, then pushed again.

God I wish we could just use Dropbox. That’s so much easier.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

This TortoiseGit software is getting more interesting. Now it’s telling me to stash before I pull.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Since I have absolutely NO idea what programmers today use and do or even how they label their delights, I find myself in limbo and view all this as ludicrous-silly.

What IS it you are trying to program in the first place?  Is this for an accounting set up?

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 09 October 2012 04:10 PM

Since I have absolutely NO idea what programmers today use and do or even how they label their delights, I find myself in limbo and view all this as ludicrous-silly.

What IS it you are trying to program in the first place?  Is this for an accounting set up?

It’s a web site I’m working on as a project for my studies at university. TortoiseGit is software for merging files in situations where more than one person works on the same web site or software development project. TortoiseGit is a convenient way of using Git.

I just think whoever made this Git stuff must’ve had a silly sense of humour.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 09 October 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Is there a way to know if someone else, then, is trying to access the same files you’re working on?  Or are you automatically locked out when that file is in use?  Is it possible that, if there are more than one files being utilized that the ‘merge’ you are attempting gets stalled?  Are you, yourself determining how many files may be moved about or merged in the actual program you’re using?

As I said, I am not familiar with the program you’re using and it’s been many years since I did any of this.  In the beginning of my time even DOS was an unknown at least in the first computers I delved into messing with housed programming but I became noted for troubleshooting what was housed and then going inside and changing programming language.  Eventually I was in DOS moves which is now relatively elementary to what is used today (or what you are using), and developed macro programs for principals. 

Sometimes the best way to understand any program (if that’s to be your field) is to dismantle it. 

If all you’re doing is designing web pages that will indeed use this program, then you really ARE going to have to troubleshoot what this particular program is capable of doing and how far you can stretch it.  THAT’s vital because the pages you develop will be used (probably) by novices who will tax them to the limit.  Whatever frustrations YOU are having now they will complain about later so tax the program as far as you can…....................THEN whittle everything down so that even an idiot can use it effectively.  You really don’t have a choice if this is the program that will be ongoing…...so attack it.

..................................edit:  have you read what companies had to say about your program:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6011893/tortoisegit-vs-git-extensions

Signature 

1 of 2