1 of 1
Worlds oldest “Message in a bottle” found!
Posted: 30 August 2012 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

It was scooped up from the sea after 98 years, and now officials say a message in a bottle discovered in Scotland has set a world record.

Fisherman Andrew Leaper found the bottle—released in 1914—in his nets in April while sailing east of the Shetland Islands, which lie off Scotland’s northern coast.

Guinness World Records confirmed Thursday the find is the oldest message in a bottle ever recovered, beating a previous record by five years.

It was released in a batch of 1,890 bottles in a government experiment to map the undercurrents of the seas around Scotland.

Inside each bottle, a postcard asks the finder to record details of the discovery and promises a reward of a sixpence. Unfortunately for Leaper, the coin no longer exists.

Read more:
LINK

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 02 September 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28
daveprime - 30 August 2012 08:15 PM

Unfortunately for Leaper, the coin no longer exists.

Sure they do…. but:

A British 1914 sterling silver Sixpence (KG V), uncirculated and in absolute mint condition could fetch up to £40 GBP. If it has been circulated but still in good condition, it might fetch up to £2 to £15 GBP.

They are collected and worth more… LOL

Image Attachments
6pence.jpg
 Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 02 September 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

They are collected and worth more…

I would demand something that was worth six pence in those days. Like a some boxes of cigarettes.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1