1 of 2
Arizona says pregnancy begins 2 weeks before conception…
Posted: 26 August 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

WTF?

Pregnancy begins 2 weeks before conception ( in Arizona)

In Arizona, women are now legally pregnant two weeks before conception, according to a new law, the Orwellianly-named, “Women’s Health and Safety Act,” signed yesterday by Republican Governor Jan Brewer. The scientifically, medically, ethically, and intellectually dishonest legislation is designed to reduce the amount of time a woman is allowed to have a legal abortion, and is one of the most draconian bills to become law in America.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 26 August 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

That means they are pregnant before she even got laid.
Which means all women are constantly pregnant.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

WTF indeed.  big surprise  These people are trying to drag society back to the dark ages.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 August 2012 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

The stupid… it burns…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

This is a dangerous precedent if you ask me. I hope this idiocy gets disposed of soon.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 27 August 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-21

On the other hand, this could result in a lot of virgin births…. and some new mythologies could be written.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-03-07

that is the standard, medical method for calculating pregnancy. You go back to the last menstual cycle. That is because is is physically impossible to otherwise determine when the pregnancy began.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

What if some of us have went thru the operation to prevent the sperm from getting to the egg? Conception cannot happen therefore I cannot get pregnant..Yay

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 27 August 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-21
logic fan - 27 August 2012 01:16 PM

that is the standard, medical method for calculating pregnancy. You go back to the last menstual cycle. That is because is is physically impossible to otherwise determine when the pregnancy began.

But this method is just guesstimating when it occured; if the article is reporting correctly, Arizona law can now decide your pregnancy occured 2 weeks before conception ... maybe just an attempt to err on the side of caution but it makes no sense as written.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
logic fan - 27 August 2012 01:16 PM

Not quite. You check when the last menstrual cycle was, and then you calculate two weeks from that. Women are most fertile in the middle of their monthly cycle, not the start of it*.  Arizona is removing that calculation, in order to ‘move up’ the age of the fetus, and thereby prevent abortions in the ‘accepted’ zone most other states abide by.

*barring extremely rare freak medical circumstances.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 29 August 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

i was astounded, after classes for my first child, that pregnancy is actually 9 1/2 months(40 weeks). What the..? All those jokes about ‘9 months later’, its actually 9.4 months. i guess we round down to 9 because its easier.

Posted: 29 August 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

In two of my cases, 10 months.  And I’m guessing X-Associate that it doesn’t make a difference if ‘sperm’ gets trapped or not (by surgery), as long as you have a vagina you are ‘pregnant’ as soon as you start puberty. 

On another hand (depending on how many you may have), be VERY glad if you don’t live in this country.  We’re still deciding whether or not to build a great-electrified wall around Texas, Arizona and New Mexico and force them to cecede (they’ve wanted to for years anyway).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2