1 of 1
Julian Assange stuck in Ecuadorian Embassy
Posted: 17 August 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

Latest story I’ve seen here.

I’ll admit Julian Assange’s “work” has done some good in the world. But ultimately I think he is a selfish b******. From what I understand his motivation has been to bolster his own glory and he has hurt a lot of people for no good reason. I say that because he appeared not be selective in what he leaked. Any good he’s done has been coincidental. That’s just my opinion.

Julian Assange ‘can stay in embassy indefinitely’ Rafael Correa says

UPDATE 8:20AM (AEST): THE British government has warned that a diplomatic standoff over the WikiLeaks founder could go on for years.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said his government was obliged under its own laws to extradite the Australian national to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over alleged sex crimes.

“No one, least of all the government of Ecuador, should be in any doubt that we are determined to carry out our legal obligation to see Mr Assange extradited to Sweden,” Hague told a press conference.

Meanwhile, both Ecuador and Sweden suggested on Friday they were prepared to be patient and wait.

Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa said Assange would remain in Quito’s embassy as long as Britain refused to give him safe passage.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

So, he’s basically in a very nice prison, at least until Ecuador gets tired of having a freeloader.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 August 2012 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 18 August 2012 02:17 AM

So, he’s basically in a very nice prison, at least until Ecuador gets tired of having a freeloader.

I can just imagine the Broadway Play of this. A building full of South Americans being taught by an Australian how to say “G’Day Mate”.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 18 August 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I wonder what would happen if the Ecuadorians provide him with a diplomatic passport. I’d assume he could then travel out of the country without being arrested, as diplomatic immunity applies?

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 August 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Klaas De Jonge

google your heart out

We Dutch know what´s this is going to turn into.

LaMa - 18 August 2012 08:58 AM

I wonder what would happen if the Ecuadorians provide him with a diplomatic passport. I’d assume he could then travel out of the country without being arrested, as diplomatic immunity applies?

He´ll be gone with the best cover ever.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 18 August 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Unfairly Balanced - 18 August 2012 10:12 AM

Klaas De Jonge

google your heart out

We Dutch know what´s this is going to turn into.

LaMa - 18 August 2012 08:58 AM

He´ll be gone with the best cover ever.

Other example: general Noriega of Panama. Didn’t last that long though.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Ah yes Noriega, they gave in after “relentless playing of loud rock-and-roll music day and night in a densely populated area.”

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1