2 of 2
Not being on Facebook is suspicious?
Posted: 08 August 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

So, Huli, to find someone’s alias you have to knw the alas? Yeah… That makes sense.

I think the easier way would be to go into the admin section here, look up someone’s email, then do a search with that. That’s assuming the same email is used, of course.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Sometimes though you ONLY know the alias.  Most of us here (well not now but when we had a lot of members using) only know the alias, not the person’s real name or e-mail address.  If I want to contact someone on here I use the private messages feature and then ask them if they will give me their e-mail address.  So, yes, if you have administrative rights (to a specific site) you can do a lot.  Most employers don’t have administrative rights for example on Face Book.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I thought I recalled seeing that Holmes HAD a FB account, that was taken down almost instantly when he was named? Facebook tends to do that with notorious criminals.

Also, the first media images of the Sikh shooter were from his FB account, so I don’t think you can count that as being a litmus.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Robin, the Holmes account was erected by someone after he was arrested.  I found it 24 minutes after it was erected and reported it to FB and I suspect a number of other people did too.  The person who put it on was saying some pretty unsavory things but none were more than just within the first 30 minutes of its existence.  This was also after he was behind bars and supposedly, according to the person, they let him keep his cell phone so he could talk and text…..........I think not.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 10 August 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
hulitoons - 08 August 2012 01:46 PM

Conduct a web search. YoName lets you search for an alias in multiple social networking sites, blogs and websites. Go to Yoname.com, enter the alias name in the search box, and press the “Yo!” button. The results web page lists found instances of that alias. To read more about each listing, click the “View Profile” link.

Failed spectacularly on “LaMa”. Only one hit and that account is not mine.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

2 of 2