Ray Bradbury Dies at 91
Posted: 06 June 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

The Museum will never be the same. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/showbiz/ray-bradbury-obit/index.html

Los Angeles (CNN)—Science fiction author Ray Bradbury, whose imagination yielded classic books such as “Fahrenheit 451,” “The Martian Chronicles” and “Something Wicked This Way Comes,” has died at 91, his publisher said Wednesday.

Bradbury “died peacefully, last night, in Los Angeles, after a lengthy illness,” HarperCollins said in a written statement.

Bradbury’s books and 600 short stories predicted a variety of things, including the emergence of ATMs and live broadcasts of fugitive car chases.

Sci-fi legend Ray Bradbury on God, ‘monsters and angels’

“In a career spanning more than seventy years, Ray Bradbury has inspired generations of readers to dream, think, and create,” the statement said. “A prolific author of hundreds of short stories and close to fifty books, as well as numerous poems, essays, operas, plays, teleplays, and screenplays, Bradbury was one of the most celebrated writers of our time.”

Bradbury wrote the screenplay for John Huston’s classic film adaptation of “Moby Dick.” He adapted 65 of his stories for television’s The Ray Bradbury Theater, and won an Emmy for his teleplay of “The Halloween Tree.”

“In my later years I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back.” he wrote in a book of essays published in 2005. “Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I’ve worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior.”

Bradbury received the 2000 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, the 2004 National Medal of Arts, and a 2007 Pulitzer Prize Special Citation.

Bradbury lived in Los Angeles since his family moved there from his native Waukegan, Illinois, to look for work during the Great Depression.

He is survived by his four daughters, Susan Nixon, Ramona Ostergren, Bettina Karapetian, and Alexandra Bradbury, and eight grandchildren. His wife of 57 years, Marguerite, died in 2003.

The biography released by his publisher quoted a story in which Bradbury recounted meeting a carnival magician, Mr. Electrico, in 1932. Electrico touched the 12-year-old Bradbury with his sword, and commanded, “Live forever!”

“I decided that was the greatest idea I had ever heard,” Bradbury said. “I started writing every day. I never stopped.”

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 06 June 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

This makes me feel sad but also makes me feel like all the best are gone or going…..I’m VERY sure other generations felt the same way about those we never even knew except in history books.  I’m also sure that some of the young ones now playing pivotal roles in many fields today, the new ‘up and coming’ ones, will be felt with sadness in their time too.  I think this is part of growing up and then knowing we are mortal after all.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 June 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I wonder if he ever did eventually learn to drive?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

The Illustrated Man was the first adult sci-fi book I read, and it’s one of my favourites.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 06 June 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2009-04-14
Accipiter - 06 June 2012 02:12 PM

Nope, terrified of it and most other transport methods.

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

*doffs hat*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

The end of an era.  :(

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
Burkenhare - 06 June 2012 08:56 PM
Accipiter - 06 June 2012 02:12 PM

Nope, terrified of it and most other transport methods.

Who knows? Maybe that added years to his life. In an alternate Earth maybe Ray Bradbury died at the age of 28 in a car accident.

I am sorry to see him gone.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Wow!  Good point Peter, we might never have had the pleasure of all his great imagination.  How fortunate we are then that he didn’t put it at peril!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1