2 of 2
The improtance of proper editting
Posted: 08 June 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 08 June 2012 03:52 AM

Personally, I blame Hooked on Phonics and other similar reading programs. Yes, your child can read, but they’re now wired to spell things the way they sound, without learning the correct spelling, and the language rules that go with that.

You realise that sort of thing could change the official spelling of words over the course of this century.

Yoo reeyahlyse that sort ov fing coold chaynj the offishyal speleeng ov werds ova the cors ov this sencheree.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 08 June 2012 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

‘Could’? I’ve already seen people who spell like that.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 June 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Yet in all fairness we’ve been changing Old English for centuries at least…..

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/timeline/OEnglish.html

Old English examples
The Lord’s Prayer in Old English
Matthew 6:9-13

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice

Father our thou that art in heavens
be thy name hallowed
come thy kingdom
be done thy will
on earth as in heavens
our daily bread give us today
and forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who have sinned against us
and not lead thou us into temptation
but deliver us from evil truly

and

http://www.englishclub.com/english-language-history.htm
But most of the Celtic speakers were pushed west and north by the invaders - mainly into what is now Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The Angles came from “Englaland” [sic] and their language was called “Englisc” - from which the words “England” and “English” are derived.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 08 June 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve seen a lot of linguists and such folks saying that the move towards mostly writing now on electronic media, with the accompanying prevalence of spell-check and auto-correct, is probably at least partially to blame.  Before, if you didn’t know for certain how to spell a word, you’d actively go look it up in a dictionary; when you were done writing, you’d go back and proofread to make sure that you didn’t spell “tomorrow” as “tommorow” or whatever.  And schools would focus on memorising correct spellings.  Now things usually work differently: if you don’t know how to spell a word, you just type something that you think is close to correct, and then the computer will give you a list of suggested proper spellings to choose from (or even just choose one itself and replace your own weirdly-spelled word automatically).  People get used to that, and when they are typing on programs that don’t include such correcting software they still type in the same way.  Meaning that they’ll just type whatever sounds close, and then subconsciously expect the computer to fix it for them if it is wrong.  They don’t look back at what they wrote, they don’t check the spelling themselves, and they don’t self-correct any bad spelling habits they may have acquired.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 June 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

‘memorising’

Spelling and even usage of particular English words also changes according to the area of the globe you’ve arrived from.  The use of the word above ‘memorising’ or ‘memorise’ has always looked peculiar to me because I was taught (adamantly taught):  ‘memorize’.  To have spelled it any other way would have earned me a point deficit.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/memorising
  mem·o·rise
  Definition of MEMORISE
  British variant of memorize

Spellcheck programs fit themselves into specific regional areas so far as their preferred spellings as well.

I do wonder if any of the other major global languages have such difficulties with spellings?  Surely I think everyone of us will have to accept that various wordage from other languages and cultures and even spellings will continue to morph [into the English language] as a universal one continues to evolve.  Which may be why phonetic spellings will eventually be more accepted at the end.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 June 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

After taking my linguistics class a few semesters ago, I wondered why the IPA wasn’t standardized worldwide!  (That’s the International Phonetic Alphabet, in case you were wondering.)  It wouldn’t help in knowing the definitions of other languages, but by golly, you’d be able to say or write any word!  The only downside is that things are written as you hear or say them, so even your writing would have your accent, which could possibly be a problem, especially with heavier accents or dialects.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 09 June 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Which would, Crafty, cause reading (and writing) to be more of a mind-flexing game of colorful and imaginative constructs, especially because all of us love the making of new ‘words’ like many of Stephen Corbert’s including ‘truthiness’ lending to more clear communication. 

I do not believe I could or want to argue that !

Signature 

2 of 2