1 of 1
Citizenship quandries, where should we go ?
Posted: 11 May 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, when I raged about giving up my citizenship:  Disappointed with my country so I’m changing citizenship….. , it wasn’t to get a duel citizenship with Switzerland Michele Bachmann Defends Then Denounces Her Dual Swiss Citizenship

or to trim taxes: 

Facebook Co-Founder Saverin Gives Up U.S. Citizenship Before IPO

..............Saverin, 30, joins a growing number of people giving up U.S. citizenship, a move that can trim their tax liabilities in that country. The Brazilian-born resident of Singapore is one of several people who helped Mark Zuckerberg start Facebook in a Harvard University dorm and stand to reap billions of dollars after the world’s largest social network holds its IPO.

Horray for the U.S.A.? or maybe not.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 May 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Oh well like the conservative pundits if you don’t like it leave. These people are just excerising their options

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 12 May 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Buy some land…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 12 May 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I am assuming most of these people are going back to the country of their birth (my earlier post in off topic chit chat was in jest, these other folks are not joking).

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 May 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Unfairly Balanced - 12 May 2012 10:45 AM

Buy some land…

Easier said than done. If memory serves, in the US you cannot own real estate outside the country - presumably to prevent folks from jumping ship, or to prevent wealthy landowners from setting up in the US and then influencing poltiics their way. The whole ‘no foreign kings’ thing…

Most people who do ‘own’ out-of-country holdings do so through corporations and the like. It’s still undeniably theirs, but at the same time, not, you know?

A good thing to remember if someone offers you a timeshare in Mexico. You are not an ‘owner’ no matter what they say.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 May 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Huh? Americans can´t buy/own land in other countries?

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 May 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

actually, you can but you have to abide by specific tax rules (which you also have to do here):

Own and Rent Property Abroad? – U.S. IRS Tax Rules You Must Follow

and you must follow the rules and regulations of the particular country as well

Signature 

1 of 1