Building an experimental town
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/18001930

‘Ghost town’ being built in US to test new technologies

A ‘ghost town’ is being built in America to test out the latest technologies such as renewable energies and terrorism security systems.

It’ll look just like a city with roads, houses and buildings - but no one will live there.

Scientists want to use it to see the effects of new technology in a ‘real world’ setting.

It’s being built in Lea County, New Mexico, and will cost around £600 million.

Big tech company Pegasus Global Holdings is behind the project.

Anything from smart grids and next-generation wireless networks to self-flushing toilets could be tested in the new town.

“The only thing we won’t be doing is destructive testing, blowing things up - I hope,” said Robert Brumley from Pegasus.

Work is due to begin on the town at the end of June.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 10 May 2012 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

I’m not sure how it can be a ‘real world” setting without people, pets, traffic and all the mundane things going on it. If you don’t have those things affecting the environment and things you’re testing I fail to see how it would be much different that laboratory testing.

Though I bet it will become a movie set, too, for times when a real city can’t be shut down for filming. Probably cheaper, too.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 10 May 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

They could save some money and use one of Ireland’s existing ghost estates.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Guerrilla-gardeners-attack-Irelands-bleak-empty-ghost-estates-144871625.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_estate

Posted: 10 May 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Ah yes, “The Experts”.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 May 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Will it have a fridge where Indy can hide in?

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 10 May 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Gosh Mr R, that’s actually pretty depressing, along with the empty ghost town discussed here, when you know there are so many people losing their homes and the homeless population growing.

Back during the Great Depression this was very common.  You’d have entire apartment buildings boarded up or whole neighborhoods with homes boarded up, not because there was anything wrong with them, but because people couldn’t afford to pay rent or buy.  You had nice buildings and rooms standing empty while people sat on street curbs out in the elements or just wandering from one town to the next as hobos while shelter rotted.

How stupid can humans get?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-06
hulitoons - 10 May 2012 06:30 AM

Read almost any history book. Read almost any newspaper. Look out of almost any window, even.

You don’t really want to know the answer to your question, do you?

Signature 

When people ask “How are you?”, I usually reply “Reasonably confident of survival in the medium term”. They tend not to delve deeper.

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Surprise me.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 May 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

Gosh Mr R, that’s actually pretty depressing, along with the empty ghost town discussed here, when you know there are so many people losing their homes and the homeless population growing.

Back during the Great Depression this was very common.  You’d have entire apartment buildings boarded up or whole neighborhoods with homes boarded up, not because there was anything wrong with them, but because people couldn’t afford to pay rent or buy.  You had nice buildings and rooms standing empty while people sat on street curbs out in the elements or just wandering from one town to the next as hobos while shelter rotted.

Ask the question “how much is a life worth?” Things that appear in the social contract we have with society don’t seem to figure in economics. Yet the social contract exists and it allows our society to function.

What’s needed is a baseline ultrabudget form of dwelling that can be supplied by governments to shelter the homeless.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 May 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Peter - 10 May 2012 08:37 PM

Ask the question “how much is a life worth?” Things that appear in the social contract we have with society don’t seem to figure in economics. Yet the social contract exists and it allows our society to function.

What’s needed is a baseline ultrabudget form of dwelling that can be supplied by governments to shelter the homeless.

Recycled cargo containers come to mind.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 May 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 10 May 2012 08:48 PM

I think it would need to be much cheaper than that. What’s need is some creative ideas possibly from university or college students. Maybe something produced from a waste product or a plant that can be cheaply grown to be used for creating dwellings. It would need almost Third World (but sanitary) style communal plumbing.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 10 May 2012 08:52 PM
gray - 10 May 2012 08:48 PM

I think it would need to be much cheaper than that. What’s need is some creative ideas possibly from university or college students. Maybe something produced from a waste product or a plant that can be cheaply grown to be used for creating dwellings. It would need almost Third World (but sanitary) style communal plumbing.

There has been talk off and on about taking all of these mothballed or decommissioned navy ships and converting them into housing.  Just think of how many people you could fit into an average aircraft carrier. . .and you could even lay down sod on the flight deck and have a nice little park there!

Apparently, though, the cost of converting it and making it safe and maintaining it is too much to make it a worthwhile plan.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2