1 of 1
Is this an IKEA hoax?
Posted: 06 May 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

IKEA cardboard disposable camera. Link here.

I’m in two minds about it. It looks feasible but part of me thinks it might be a hoax. Perhaps the good people here can figure this out.

IKEA Cardboard Camera Called KNÄPPA, to Land on Store Shelves Soon

Earlier this week a photograph of a mysterious IKEA digital camera crafted out of cardboard took the web by storm. Now more details are emerging and we now know that the camera is very much real. It will be called KNÄPPA, and was designed in collaboration with Stockholm’s Teenage Engineering. Billed as “the world’s cheapest digital camera”, the KNÄPPA is made out of a single piece of folded cardboard, a single circuit board, a camera sensor, and an integrated USB connector.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 06 May 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

No reason at all that it shouldn’t work. Digital cameras can be made incredibly cheap. ‘Single-use’ ones already exist, and there’s no reason you can’t slap the equipment on darned near anything. Given that IKEA has the manual available online, I’m inclined to say yes, this is legit.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 07 May 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  739
Joined  2006-12-06

This camera made of cardboard has been around for a long long time

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 07 May 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

There’s certainly a market for it, and the technology exists for making it inexpensive yet functional.  It’s a sound enough business idea.  I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be a real product.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 May 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

Sounds like I was wrong then. I hope they sell them at my nearest IKEA.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

1 of 1