8 of 8
FUEL ADDITIVES: Pills, liquids etc. Are these for real or just more SCAMS?
Posted: 06 May 2008 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-06

I saw some references to adding sugar to gasoline. The old story about ruining an automobile engine with the addition of sugar to the fuel tank is misinformation. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. Problems could be caused by sugar granules, but filtration will generally keep solid particles from entering the fuel delivery system. Large amount of sugar could theoretically clog the filters and result in a need to remove/flush the tank and replace the filters.

Basically, sugar would act like most other solid foreign particles and cause fuel delivery problems. But it won’t dissolve and gum-up an engine.

Posted: 06 May 2008 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Much better to use moth balls. But in any case, the last post for this was over six months ago, so please, no necroposting.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 May 2008 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-06

I Found Museum of Hoaxes today while attempting to find some information on an e-mail that I received about a gasoline additive, Ethos. It looked like a hoax and I was searching for some confirmation. Information on Museum of Hoaxes and other sites confirmed my suspicion. However, I thought it odd that a site labeled Museum of Hoaxes would contain uncorrected information about sugar and gasoline.

Sorry, I thought this was a serious site. I understand, now,the need to pay attention to post dates and let the dead posts decay in stu.  Unfortunately, I spend too much time trying to correct misinformation I am sent or come across. Thank you for the redirection. I will not post again.

Posted: 06 May 2008 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

CConsuegra, there’s really nothing wrong with “necroposting” as long as you are adding new, accurate and on-topic information to the thread.  Which you seem to be wanting to do.  Unfortunately, if push came to shove, I would classify this as necroposting because sugar in a gas tank is generally off topic.  It might have been mentioned in the thread and it might have been mis-information, but it is not a “fuel additive” and not a large part of the conversation so doesn’t really have much to do with the topic at hand.

But don’t let the reaction spoil your impression of the forum, please.  Honestly, Robin was trying to do a service by informing, not to chastise just to chastise.  Unfortunately, we do get a lot of necroposting around here and rarely because the person has anything new or informative to add.

If you do stick around, welcome to the forum.  Please feel free post and reply.  But if you reply in an older thread please make sure it is new, informative and on-topic.  If you’re not sure please feel free to send a PM to ask someone or just start a new topic starting a new discussion.  (If the Moderators feel it is closely related to an older topic it will be merged onto that topic, no harm done.)  Thank you. smile

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

8 of 8