1 of 2
Space mining
Posted: 22 April 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Video of story here. Although the story mentions making millions. I would’ve thought for that kind of thing they’d want to make at least billions owing to the risk and expense involved.

Space mining start-up set for launch

A US corporate start-up devoted to mining asteroids for metals is to make its public debut in Seattle.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 April 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Finally!!

I’ve been waiting for SOME big multi-national to take up the challenge.  The things that will be added to our tech and science will be profound and widespread! (Power sources, robotics, metallurgy, etc.) cheese

Besides, how else are we to reach that magical ‘BladeRunner’ future? hmmm cool grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 22 April 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21
daveprime - 22 April 2012 08:07 AM

Besides, how else are we to reach that magical ‘BladeRunner’ future? hmmm cool grin

The flying cars would be nice, but I dunno if we’d like THAT future, all I want to say is it’s 2012, we’re over a decade into the 21st century… WHERE’S MY JETPACK????

As to mining an asteroid, I saw Moon02, & they said it’ll never work because the costs of fuel etc are too high, you gotta crash it on the Moon ( without hitting Moon City) then mine it.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 22 April 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Nah. What you do is you go to an asteroid, mine it into nice small chunks, then fling them to where you want them. It’s SLOW, but with no wind resistance, your package WILL get there. You then just catch the VW-sized hunk of asteroid, and melt it down for more mining rigs.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 April 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

What I’d like to know is whether or not actual people are going to be at these mines for months (or years) at a time or if it’s going to be done by robots. Because if it’s people then they’ll have a hell of a time protecting them from radiation and the effects of living in zero gravity for such a long time.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 22 April 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Probably robots with human guidance. We’ve had dozens of robot probes, so we know we can program something and have it operate for a week or so without anyone.

One nifty idea I’d heard was to simply toss a giant mylar mirror out there. Instead of resorting to brute force methods, you focus sunlight and use it to cut your material. Very energy efficient.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 22 April 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
feotu - 22 April 2012 12:14 PM

As to mining an asteroid, I saw Moon02, & they said it’ll never work because the costs of fuel etc are too high, you gotta crash it on the Moon ( without hitting Moon City) then mine it.

The main fuel costs would just be at the very beginning, if they do it right.  They’ll have to launch the initial mining and processing and fabricating equipment into space.  Once you get things started up, then I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they could set up robots to be self-fueling on whatever resources they could scrounge up out there.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 April 2012 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, that’s another advantage of the big mirror design. The whole thing acts like a solar sail, but you can also focus it on a chunk of recently-mined rock and vaporize it for reaction mass.

Again, once you get out too the asteroids, everything is gravy. You don’t need a whole lot of thrust, especially if you have robots involved, so you don’t need to hurry. Something that provides the thrust of a particularly robust Taco Bell meal would be *overkill*.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2012 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Is it sad that all I can think of is that maybe this is the start of Red Dwarf?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 23 April 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Not at all. It’s a good show.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 23 April 2012 03:37 AM

Something that provides the thrust of a particularly robust Taco Bell meal would be *overkill*.

So I could get an income as reusable rocket engine? oh oh

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 24 April 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I hereby prohibit mining on my asteroids.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 2