Hen gives live birth
Posted: 20 April 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17769677

‘Eggless’ chick laid by hen in Sri Lanka

A Sri Lanka hen has given birth to a chick without an egg, in a new twist on the age-old question of whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Instead of passing out of the hen’s body and being incubated outside, the egg was incubated in the hen for 21 days and then hatched inside the hen.

The chick is fully formed and healthy, although the mother has died.

The government veterinary officer in the area said he had never seen anything like it before.

PR Yapa, the chief veterinary officer of Welimada, where it took place, examined the hen’s carcass.

He found that the fertilised egg had developed within the hen’s reproductive system, but stayed inside the hen’s body until it hatched.

A post-mortem conducted on the hen’s body concluded that it died of internal wounds.

The BBC’s Charles Haviland in Colombo says that the story has made headlines in Sri Lanka, with the Sri Lankan Daily Mirror’s concluding: “The chicken came first; not the egg.”

Obviously wasn’t fun for the momma hen, though.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I really wouldn’t call that ‘live birth’. More along the lines of what veterinary medicine calls ‘Houston, we’ve had a problem’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 20 April 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27

Ok, now I´m following Ananova for eggles-dino-clone news…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1