1 of 1
Overused expressions or sayings.
Posted: 28 March 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

In one job I was in a few people kept saying “...at the end of the day” so often I thought they almost needed a temporary ban on saying it. Although I guess it’s difficult to come up with alternate ways of saying things. But it I did get a bit sick of hearing it after a while.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 28 March 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  739
Joined  2006-12-06

“Bear with me”
“With all due respect”
“pro-active”
“Touch base”
“at this moment on time”

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 28 March 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

I particularly hated “...at the end of the day”, especially because hearing other people say it made me realise how often I said it.

I also can’t stand people ending every sentence with “...you know what I mean?” or just “...know what I mean?”

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2009-04-14

Translations into everyday English, as learned from many hard years in corporate America:

“Bear with me” - 1. a warning that the following statement will be either factually incorrect, racist, ignorant, short sighted, or all of the above. Often mistaken for original thought.
“With all due respect” - 1. to show absolutely no respect for, 2. a polite way of implying the complete ignorance of the recipient
“pro-active” - 1. to do something unethical before someone else does, 2. to react to a past event by claiming it hasn’t happened yet
“Touch base” - 1. to spy on, 2. to impose my opinion on you
“at this moment on time” - 1. Now, as in “Where are we at this moment in time?” 2. Never: implied, as in “We are not funding your project at this moment in time.”, Forever, as in “We are suspending your financing at this moment in time.”

Remember the most valuable lesson of working in the corporate world: “Why work when we can meet?”

Posted: 28 March 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

oooo good Burkenhare!

The ONE I have always felt like puking when I hear it:  ‘It’s not personal, it’s just business”.....which of course means you have no value except as an exploitable business minion.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 March 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

How about “Sorry, you’re overqualified for this job,” meaning “We don’t want to hire you even though you need this job because: 1. You really are overqualified and we know as soon as you find a better job you’ll quit and we’ll have wasted all that time training you; or 2. You’re too close to retirement age.”  My mom hears that a lot and it really frustrates her.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 28 March 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Crafty Dragon - 28 March 2012 06:48 PM

How about “Sorry, you’re overqualified for this job,” meaning “We don’t want to hire you even though you need this job because: 1. You really are overqualified and we know as soon as you find a better job you’ll quit and we’ll have wasted all that time training you; or 2. You’re too close to retirement age.”  My mom hears that a lot and it really frustrates her.

She’s not the only one.  I started hearing this when I was in my mid 40s and it didn’t stop.  Finally I gave up and now just collect Social Security.  I did have some prospective employers tell me exactly what you’ve said.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1