1 of 1
Amelia Ehrhardt’s Plane Located? Again…
Posted: 21 March 2012 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

News kink

Investigators think they’ve uncovered a key clue that will lead them to solve the mystery of what happened to legendary aviator Amelia Earhart, who disappeared on a trans-Pacific flight 75 years ago.

Ric Gillespie, executive director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, said a new enhanced analysis of a photo taken on the Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro, formerly Gardner Island, three months after Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared may show the landing gear of her Lockheed Electra protruding from a reef.

“We found some really fascinating and compelling evidence,” Gillespie said at a news conference in Washington on Tuesday. “Finding the airplane would be the thing that would make it conclusive.”

Gillespie said the photo was taken by a British survey team in October 1937 and had been seen by Earhart researchers many times. But investigators took a new look at it in 2010 and, when their suspicions were triggered, had the photo checked by U.S. State Department experts. In a blind review, they determined the component in the picture is the landing gear of a Lockheed Electra.

“This is where the airplane went into the drink,” Gillespie said.

On July 2, 75 years to the day after Earhart was last heard from, Gillespie will depart Honolulu on a University of Hawaii research vessel to try to find that plane in the deep waters off a flat reef on Nikumaroro.

The privately funded effort will use robotic submarines from Phoenix International, the U.S. Navy’s primary contractor for deep ocean search and recovery, to comb the area. The Discovery Channel will film the exploration for a TV presentation, Gillespie said.

Gillespie acknowledged their will be skeptics after his 23 years of searching for Earhart has yet to yield an answer.

“There are some very smart people who think we’re wrong about this, but there are some very smart people who think we’re right about this,” he said.

One Gillespie supporter is Robert Ballard, the explorer who found the Titanic and other deep sea wrecks, who called himself “a ringer” brought in to vet Gillespie’s case.

Ballard said he had rejected offers to look for Earhart’s plane, thinking the task too difficult.

“If you ever wanted a case of finding a needle in a haystack, this is at the top of the list in deep sea exploration,” he said at the Washington press conference.

Ballard said he did a strict analysis of Gillespie’s research and signed off on the science.

“Every time, he passed the test,” Ballard said. “Clearly the smoking gun was the analysis of that enhanced image.”

Earhart and Noonan disappeared while on a flight from New Guinea to Howland Island that summer of 1937. The flat reef off Gardner Island, 300 miles off their course, had been a suspected landing spot. But those suspicions were largely based on speculation.

At Tuesday’s press conference, Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell called the disappearance of Earhart “the last great unsolved mystery of the 20th century.”

If the mystery is solved this summer, Earhart’s aviation trailblazing will have played a part, Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood said.

“In no small part because of Amelia Earhart, our world is smaller,” LaHood said. “This very voyage to recover her remains in some ways is doable because of Earhart herself.”

“We take a special measure of pride in an expedition that is as enterprising and inspiring as the woman with which it will unite us,” he said.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton saluted Earhart’s memory, too.

“Her legacy resonates today for anyone, girls and boys, who dreams about the stars,” Clinton said. “She gave people hope and she inspired them to dream bigger and bolder.”

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

So, place your bets folks:

Disappointing Success - “Well, we found these lag bolts and a flange, but that’s it.”

Dubious Success - “Look! Right where I said it was! As proven by these images which may or may not be photoshopped!”

Geraldo Gambit - “Ok, we’ve been at this for hours, and didn’t find anything interesting.. but there COULD have been something!”

Fat Lotta Nothin’ - What it says on the tin.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 March 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

WAY more info here The Earhart Project

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m going with Dubious Success.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-03/earhart-discovery/4049534

Anti-freckle cream could hold key to Earhart mystery

A new study has found that dozens of previously dismissed radio signals and a jar of anti-freckle cream could hold clues to one of the great aviation mysteries of the twentieth century.

Pilot Amelia Earhart set off in 1937 from Papua New Guinea in a Lockheed Electra aircraft to circumnavigate the globe over the equator, its longest route.

But she and her navigator Fred Noonan were never seen again, despite a massive search mounted by United States authorities in the midst of the Great Depression.

Historians have long hoped to answer the question of whether Earhart and Noonan died quickly or - as generations of history buffs have imagined - they lived as castaways.

Now, the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery says transmissions were picked up for days after she sent her last inflight message.

At the time, the radio distress calls were dismissed as fakes, but the experts say the transmissions prove Earhart did not die in a plane crash.

The researchers also say a jar of anti-freckle cream found in pieces on Nikumaroro Island in the South Pacific - near where Earhart disappeared in 1937 - could provide clues.

The late pilot was known to conceal her freckles, and two years ago researchers on the same island found buttons and a zip.

The research group say it is determined to prove Earhart and her navigator eventually died as as castaways on a remote island.

In March, the US vowed to help solve the 75-year-old mystery, with secretary of state Hillary Clinton at the time describing the trailblazing female pilot as a personal and national heroine and offered moral support for an upcoming expedition.

Divers will start looking for Earhart’s plane next month.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 June 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-19

Interesting. So is this the United States’ equivelant to the UK press’ annual flurry of Princess Diana news? It frequently follows a common pattern of conspiracy theory with little substance, preferably written in enourmous headlines with block capitals and a picture of a smiling Princess Diana in a flattering outfit, or doing voluntary work but still very photogenic;

“DIANA: THE EVIDENCE!!!!!”

etc. Generally the article should take the form of an alleged new piece of forensic evidence, confession or eyewitness testimony that ‘proves’ that British military intelligence, or a French hitman, Prince Philip himself, the Welsh Illuminati, Lord Lucan and Shergar, the Chelsea Pensioners or Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars personally carried out the asassination to prevent Diana from taking the throne and delivering us from evil. Having said that there’s not always a conspiracy involved, sometimes it’s just a series of suppositions about how the world would’ve been had Diana still been alive, brought on by an anniversary. Again, more stuff about Queen Diana defeating the forces of evil, stamping out world poverty, preventing the recession and bringing up house prices.

It seems as though this is a similar sort of perrenial story involving a popular, tragically deceased woman. I’m glad to hear we’re not the only ones afflicted with this!

Posted: 14 June 2012 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Nah, for THAT you want the Kennedy Assasination nutjobs. We only get the ‘historical speculation’ sorts when there’s a lull. Just about any dead celebrity will get their fair share of folks who can’t believe that they died, or that they died of mundane causes.

If you look about on the forum, you’ll see one thing that gets a lot of work is ‘Ripperologists’ - folks speculating on the identity of Jack the Ripper. At this point, it seems that approximately two-thirds of Victorian London was into killing prostitutes.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 14 June 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

So this suggests that Elvis really is dead then too?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 14 June 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27
hulitoons - 14 June 2012 10:06 AM

So this suggests that Elvis really is dead then too?

Are you nuts?
He just left the building.
He´ll be back.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 14 June 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-19

I’ve seen some of the Ripper stuff before, the best “hang on, you believe WHAT?!” article I’ve read was one where Lewis Carroll, of ‘Alice Through the Looking Glass’ fame was allegedly the killer, and this was proven by the fact that if you rearranged the letters of specific paragraphs he wrote, and added in a few extra letters, it turned out he confessed in a series of bizzare, grammatically inept little poems that he and his friend liked to go to London and murder prostitutes. Either that or the theory about Prince Albert Victor, where the implication seems to be that because various British royals were mentally and physically ill, and are traditionally a bit odd, he must have been capable of it, and that’s evidence enough. It’s probably just as well the people that come up with this stuff generally aren’t involved in real law enforcement isn’t it?

Posted: 14 June 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

But but, surely C. McArthur, Sherlock Holmes, is not really fictional, and still lives (though I’ve no idea where he might be now) operating outside the laws and rules of Scotland Yard, under opiate influence, (though I’m unsure if he is part of the upper class according to whichever story lineage you read) might proclaim (or has) that it was Professor Moriarty who did the deed, (and maybe continues?)

Okay, I’m pooped….

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1

‹‹ The iPad of 1935      Worms from the Sky!!! ››