1 of 2
So, how did the Blessed People first discover the Museum of Hoaxes?
Posted: 21 March 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

Yea Verily. I was reading an old favourite web site called History House and it was there I first found a link to MOH. History House is an entertaining and light hearted read but it hasn’t been updated for years now.

So how did the other Blessed members of the MOH Flock discover this good place of hoax-dom and frivolity?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I had a mail-order book club membership, and thought that this looked interesting.  It was, and there happened to be a handy link to the website in there…so I came to check it out and never really left.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

I was doing my normal daily 18 or so hours of drifting on the web and was looking at medical “treatments” that were no good. (Scams. Close to hoaxes, but done for money and mostly illegal.)  One of my search links brought me here, I think, and I browsed around the site for a month or so, liked the light-hearted but directed banter, and put my two oars in the water. smile

I don’t know about others, but I am SO glad to have found the MoH!  It has given me somewhere to come to when I had nowhere else to go… smile

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Gosh.. Let me think… Oh! I remember! I was looking for Jackalope pictures.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Robin Bobcat - 21 March 2012 07:03 AM

You needed Jackalope pics? hmmm

Do tell? cool grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
daveprime - 21 March 2012 07:14 AM
Robin Bobcat - 21 March 2012 07:03 AM

You needed Jackalope pics? hmmm

Do tell? cool grin

I was young and needed the money.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I was bored at my temp job at work and was looking up Chupacabra and other cryptozoological stuff and found MoH. Visited the site for a couple of years before I signed up for the forum.

Posted: 21 March 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

The owner of Gallery 8, Tony Walker, in Baltimore was approached by someone here (maybe Alex) concerning all the signs out asking what “Where are the Bovine?”, (or something like that), meant. 

When I asked him for the link of the askers, I immediately started browsing.  Good grief that had to have been like 2002 or something!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

I started poking around because Dave was having so much fun reading all the posts.  Now, if we could just get everyone back here and off Facebook… LOL

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I was surfing around at work for some cryptozoology thing and it brought me to the front page of the MOH.  From there I decided to check out a couple of the forum posts and was hooked thereafter.  I lurked for a year or so before I finally joined up.  I actually just passed my 5th anniversary on 14 Mar.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 March 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

A local garden centre, of all places. I don’t know about the US, but in the UK every garden centre has a section of bookshelves. Usually, there’s a bit for books about gardening, bird watching and growing veg. There’s always another bit full of the kind of books that are deemed to be of “casual interest”; books about the English language, books about antiques, books about castles, so on. In one of these places I discovered the book Museum of Hoaxes. Having always had an interest in how people perceive the world about them, and how wrong we frequently are, I had to have it. I expected it to be a fairly cold list of hoaxes throughout history. What I discovered was that it was more of a philosophy, an exploration of the human animal.

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 22 March 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I agree Paul, the human mind is a cavern full of unique critters….some may be known, but in each cavern they ‘fly funny’.

Crafty I must agree with you too about hoping we can get this collective out of a kind of ice age.  One of the great advantages of MoH was (and I hope will return to) the literal consumption of just a single topic.  Once a new topic was posted, we pounced upon it like starving vultures and beat it to death until no scrap was left to turn to dust alone.  Our conversations were intensely heated.

FaceBook does not offer the same zeal and IF a good topic is entered there, it scrolls so quickly into oblivion that it’s more like eating cotton candy with little satisfaction rather than knawing on an entire rump roast.

Over the past week I’ve moved from FB to Yahoo Questions and Answers where there is a wide variety of ongoing ticker-tape queries in topics from social sciences, politics, family, research etc. to silly.  Some can be pretty challenging, and some are from people wanting to commit suicide, and some are from the love lorn.  I’ve been spending a lot of time there.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2