Plastic from Plants? It’s Happening!!
Posted: 10 March 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Sci-fi to reality… gulp

News Link

LONDON, Feb. 16, 2012 (Reuters) — Dutch scientists have found a way of turning plant matter into the building blocks of common plastics using a nanotechnology process that offers an alternative to oil-based production.

The team from Utrecht University and Dow Chemical Co produced ethylene and propylene - precursors of materials found in everything from CDs to carrier bags and carpets - after developing a new kind of iron catalyst made of nanoparticles.

Existing bioplastics, which are made from crops such as corn and sugar, have only limited use as they are not exact substitutes for oil-based products.

The new system, by contrast, produces chemicals that are the same as those made in petrochemical works, allowing them to be used in a wide range of industries.

This also means they will not be biodegradable, although they will be made from renewable resources.

Researcher Krijn De Jong and his colleagues envisage using non-food sources of biomass for the new process, such as fast-growing trees or grasses, rather than traditional crops, in order to reduce competition for resources between food and fuel.

Plastics made from biomass could, however, be vulnerable to the same criticism that has beset biofuel production.

Critics say the production of some biofuels can occupy land that would otherwise be used for agricultural purposes, thus limiting food and water resources for a rapidly rising world population.

Some biofuel production could also increase carbon emissions, especially if rainforests are cut down to facilitate production.

The research by De Jong and his colleagues, which was published Thursday in the journal Science, is still at an early stage. It now requires larger-scale testing and pilot projects, so it will not reach the market for several years.

RISING DEMAND

Diminishing reserves of fossil fuels and rising greenhouse gas emissions suggest there should be increased demand for bioplastics. But that argument could be disrupted by recent vast finds of shale gas, which now provide a cheap alternative feedstock for ethylene in the United States.

The Dutch-designed catalysts consist of tiny nanoparticles separated from each other on carbon nanofibers. In laboratory tests, the catalysts proved highly effective at converting biomass-derived synthesis gas - a mix for hydrogen and carbon monoxide - in ethylene and propylene.

Importantly, the process worked without producing large amounts of methane, an unwanted byproduct of another catalytic process using large iron particles.

The team now plan to increase catalyst production by linking with experts from Johnson Matthey, the world’s largest supplier of catalytic converters for vehicles.

Nanotechnology, which involves designing and manufacturing materials on the scale of one-billionth of a meter, is a rapidly expanding area of materials science with applications in medicine, electronics and coatings.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 10 March 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I think the fact they can be made from renewable resources is a good starting point.

But I think there needs to be some formal agreement about the amount of land used for this so it doesn’t significantly impact food production. It’s all a balancing act.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 March 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Unfortunately governments aren’t too good at balancing things and human greed will take over if there is a profit to be made.  I can envision people complaining that they weren’t allowed to participate and share in the profits because their land was designated for food production which wasn’t as profitable as growing crops for bio-plastic production.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 March 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

It seems to me the use of land for farming is probably the greatest impact humanity has on the natural world, and the very last thing we need is a process for creating one of our most prolific substances that requires more land. That it is referred to as “renewable” when producing requires land which pretty much doesn’t exist is extraordinary. We struggle to feed the population with available land let alone provide them with plastics. I know all knowledge and technology feeds into progress, and if we can build the farms necessary for this process in space or in gigantic tiered pyramidal structures or something, I’d be elated, but right now I struggle to see the use of it. Apart from it’s extraordinary as a technology.

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 10 March 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16

The title confuses me. They’re making plastic afros out of plants?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 10 March 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

I was puzzled by the title too, Tah.  I suspect that it’s a typo, though.  The comma is possibly supposed to be an “m”...

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Tah - 10 March 2012 12:15 PM

The title confuses me. They’re making plastic afros out of plants?

red face

FIXED.

shut eye

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 10 March 2012 10:46 AM

Unfortunately governments aren’t too good at balancing things and human greed will take over if there is a profit to be made.  I can envision people complaining that they weren’t allowed to participate and share in the profits because their land was designated for food production which wasn’t as profitable as growing crops for bio-plastic production.

That’s already a big problem right now in some areas, with people growing bio-fuel crops rather than food crops.  The bio-fuel crops are less work to grow and pay vastly greater profits.  The problem comes from the fact that many of these farmers are in third-world countries where food is often scarce, so this isn’t helping the local population very much when famine strikes.

In places such as the US, though, it wouldn’t really be a problem.  The US often ends up with food crop surpluses.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 1