2 of 4
Disappointed with my country so I’m changing citizenship…..
Posted: 08 March 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-03-07

try this again…..

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-03-07
Make it No organized religions and then you can still beleive what you want

So, I can believe whatever I want, but can’t share my believe with anyone (two people meeting is “organized”).

I’m cool with that. Who is going to enforce that rule? Guess we’ll need a law enforcement agency.

Who is gonna write that rule? Me? You? Another person? Tell you what, let’s vote on who gets to make the law.

And your new civilization just collapsed. Sorry. 

smile

Posted: 08 March 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

I was going to make much the point as logic fan, that organised religions pretty much grow organically and are a matter of personal choice, and trying to ban anything creates politics, thus politicians, but I don’t think that’s really in the spirit of Huli’s initial post anyway.

For my part, I’ve often looked around at the society I live in (the UK), and there are things I think human beings should be striving to work away from. It seems those who have worked all their lives and are now no longer able to contribute much in physical labor (and, let’s face it, are often not all that switched on either) are often left on the last portion of handouts we have left in the public coffers after looking after more “useful” young people. Our pensions in this country are a disgrace. We make too little effort in understanding why many people don’t feel the sort of investment in society that would make laws the deterrent they are to most of us. I don’t really know the answers to these problems, but i think they are the things any new society I’d be interested in would address.

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Paul Taylor - 08 March 2012 02:13 PM

I was going to make much the point as logic fan, that organised religions pretty much grow organically and are a matter of personal choice, and trying to ban anything creates politics, thus politicians, but I don’t think that’s really in the spirit of Huli’s initial post anyway.

For my part, I’ve often looked around at the society I live in (the UK), and there are things I think human beings should be striving to work away from. It seems those who have worked all their lives and are now no longer able to contribute much in physical labor (and, let’s face it, are often not all that switched on either) are often left on the last portion of handouts we have left in the public coffers after looking after more “useful” young people. Our pensions in this country are a disgrace. We make too little effort in understanding why many people don’t feel the sort of investment in society that would make laws the deterrent they are to most of us. I don’t really know the answers to these problems, but i think they are the things any new society I’d be interested in would address.

All of these are good points.  They are the things we’re more aware of as we grow older and see the patterns more glaringly. 

Once there is more than one individual to consider, then a culture forms and there is an exchange of ideas.  This is true even in a family.  You have two parents and at least one child.  The hierarchy is based on the most aggressive individual’s demands OR considerations for the rest first (sometimes this can even be the child’s demands!)  The others become subservient to that first individual and then flow downward. 

I remember my father constantly reminding us kids at least that ‘this is NOT a democracy, it’s a dictatorship’ and that’s really the mentality that most families are based upon and which we take with us to parrot with our own families and then into the community, the society and then the particular country to which we belong. 

The flow hierarchy is static and is always based upon the individual who has more than the others whether that is strength, charisma, wealth, subservient followers who are dependent on that first individual for survival or believe they are.  This, of course, puts that individual and those at the closer end to that individual in the enviable position of setting rules, boundaries, demands etc. on others, particularly those at the furthest end. 

Humans are social critters.  The truth is that we really do need each other too because each has something to offer to the others in expertise, experience, knowledge, and wisdom.  We need each other in order to survive but it is becoming an increasingly difficult battle comprised of many little ones every day just to get from morning to night and then even when we close our eyes we yearn to nestle in the knowledge that nothing will attack us while we sleep.  Which is why I find the global political battles combined with religious squabbling and spitting almost perverse to the safety of the masses…..and we have become a cumbersome mass.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 11 March 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

If you buy your own island to found you own country, can I come? I would like to get away from my soap opera of a family

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 12 March 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, as far as the ‘no organized religions’ goes, you can dial it back a notch and still be effective. Just say ‘worship whoever you want, but you’ll need to have the same exact accounting and taxes as any other organization’. Financial accountability can work miracles.

Now, if they’re operating as a full non-profit, sure, more power to ‘em. But it means they’ll have a lot less money for, say, lobbying for the legislation they want to have happen. Plus they have to show that things are actually being done in a charitable fashion. With no tax breaks on the churches themselves, then services are likely to be held in a location that is paid for anyway - someone’s garage, perhaps. Church officials may well have day jobs. There woul be no mega-churches, as there’s no profit in it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 March 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Robin…...........Beautifully Brilliant!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 March 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
Robin Bobcat - 12 March 2012 04:00 AM

Well, as far as the ‘no organized religions’ goes, you can dial it back a notch and still be effective. Just say ‘worship whoever you want, but you’ll need to have the same exact accounting and taxes as any other organization’. Financial accountability can work miracles.

Now, if they’re operating as a full non-profit, sure, more power to ‘em. But it means they’ll have a lot less money for, say, lobbying for the legislation they want to have happen. Plus they have to show that things are actually being done in a charitable fashion. With no tax breaks on the churches themselves, then services are likely to be held in a location that is paid for anyway - someone’s garage, perhaps. Church officials may well have day jobs. There woul be no mega-churches, as there’s no profit in it.

Yes, very good. I like your thinking smile

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 13 March 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, I keep meaning to get off my lazy tail and write up a proper manifesto one of these days. A lot of it would be basic common sense stuff, but there’s some good ideas in there.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 March 2012 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Get yourself one of these built;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts

Posted: 13 March 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I seem to vaguely remember that several years ago there were actually plans for founding a hoax-nation by some MoH members.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

2 of 4

‹‹ Swallowing gum      Happy Birthday, Tah! ››