1 of 2
7 most dangerous fashion items for your health
Posted: 27 February 2012 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/7-most-dangerous-fashion-items-health-194800214.html  this is a slide show so I could not put it into a quoted area here.

And guys some of these apply to you!

I found these MOST interesting because I stopped using/wearing them a LONG time ago for the very reasons (injuries) listed.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I plead guilty to the big heavy shoulder bag! I also wear flip flops, but only in the swimming pool changing room.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 27 February 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

when I got fitted for a suit for my sister’s wedding, I was surprised to find out just what a difference a properly-sized neck makes for wearing a tie. It was actually *comfortable*.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 27 February 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

I can’t say as I’m guilty of anything mentioned there.  I never wear a tie except when going to a wedding or something and I much prefer loose clothing all round.  I find tight clothing uncomfortable.  I can see the sense in some of those things though.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I do know someone who has back issues (I think her pelvis/hips are at a slightly odd angle) and although she varies the height of heel she wears, they’re not often under two inches or she gets a very sore lower back. The angle that heels throw your back into works better for her!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Back in the 80s and early 90s I wore spiked heels all the time because the firms I worked for demanded business attire.  My calf muscles shortened because of that continuous position and it was difficult to walk flat footed without pain.  But this was also worsened by carrying very large shoulder bags necessary with items for work as well which caused extreme shoulder, neck and back problems. 

I also wore thong type shoes and injured my ankles several times by slipping to the sides.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 February 2012 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I seem to be pretty safe as far as this list goes.  I make sure that collars aren’t tight, and avoid ties whenever possible.  I’ve only worn flip-flops a few times and briefly, when they were provided at pools that required them.  I’m always careful about keeping heavily loaded bags I’m carried balanced.  I’ll just have to stop wearing stiletto heels with my super-tight skinny jeans.

And I’ve never heard of Spanx Power Panties before, and am not sure that I’d want to hear of them.

As far as dangerous fashion accessories goes, when I was working with nuclear weapons we had these little radiation emitters that we’d use to calibrate our radiation detectors.  They were metal discs a few inches wide, painted with purple and yellow radiation symbols on both sides and with a hole through them so that you could put them on a string or chain and not have to handle the discs themselves.  I forget what they were made of; U-238 or something such as that.  And for some odd reason, one of the people working in our group decided that the things were really pretty and stole one of them and gave it to his girlfriend as a necklace.  Fortunately we were rather careful in our inventory procedures and noticed quickly that it was missing, and it was tracked down before it had done more than give the girl a really really bad localised sunburn on her chest (it must have been mainly an alpha-particle emitter).  People can be very dim when it comes to fashion choices, even with metals a bit more obviously dubious than nickel.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 February 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I’m guessing that employee was properly disciplined?

Signature 

Posted: 29 February 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I’ve known I couldn’t wear nickel-based jewellry for years - we used a nickel-silver alloy for jewellry classes back in high-school, and my skin would turn black after wearing any of my work for a day or more.

I have a few pairs of shoes with 3 inch heels, but I always try to avoid wearing them multiple days in a row.  I actually try to make a point of wearing a different pair of shoes every day when I’m at work, and since I’ve been walking to and from work, I’ve only been wearing heels while I’m in the office, and wearing sneakers when I’m doing the serious walking.  And flip-flops and other slip-on style shoes are an absolute no-no with me, as I physically can’t wear them comfortably due to having narrow feet, and silly-sized ones at that.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
hulitoons - 27 February 2012 06:50 PM

I’m guessing that employee was properly disciplined?

“Y’know Bob.. we *could* prosecute you for removing that from the building and whatnot… but we think having to explain to your girlfriend that you gave her some extremely radioactive jewelry is gonna be punishment enough…”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I am missing umbrella’s in this list. Umbrellas can kill.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Yes, I’ve had a few umbrellas that I had to wrestle to the ground in strong winds!

I’m also trying to think of stuff NOT on that list so let’s see:

1.  Underwire bras - the wire works loose and then stabs the wearer OR the underwires cause blistering along their path OR some styles of underwire bras for more developed women are sometimes too wide (the manufacturer believes that along with development there is an additional height spurt) so the wire gouges into the armpit or into the upper arm!

2.  Clothing woven with latex which causes caustic blistering to the skin beneath clearly outlining the full span of the garment itself.

3.  Designs so densely staved/boned .... not all are corsets but most are:  http://www.kitsch-slapped.com/2009/11/what-if-everything-you-knew-about-the-corset-was-wrong/

Corsets and tight lacing are said to have controlled women to their physical detriment; corsets have been blamed for breathing problems, broken ribs, curvature of the spine, hunchbacks, prolapsed uterus, miscarriages, hysteria and other mental illness, fainting spells, epilepsy, and even fatalities. Supposedly, in 1859, a 23 year old Parisian woman at a ball was “proved to be the envy of all with her thirteen inch waist; two days later she was found dead.”

4.  Cincher belts that replace corsets can be a problem unless they are extremely elastic.

5.  Very long neck scarves that can get caught in machinery OR by the hands of an enemy?

Signature 

1 of 2