1 of 2
I’m being culinarily challenged
Posted: 25 January 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

In a word, tofu.

I’ve put myself on a low gi diet. I’m replacing eggs with tofu. I’ve never prepared tofu before. I’m envisioning a potential culinary disaster when I try.

All I have for this adventure are the choice of a couple of non-stick frypans and some spray on cooking oil. Should I buy some other cooking oil? It has to fit in with a low gi diet of course.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ah.. tofu. Good stuff. Soaks up flavors like a sponge. I grew up eating a lot of tofu, so it tastes like ‘home cooking’ to me. Mom was a horribl cook, and managed to conceal this fact from my father by taking an ‘Oriental Cooking’ class when they got married. I ate a LOT of stirfry as a kidling.

Main thing to remember is that tofu comes in varying levels of firmness. You can usually find ‘soft’, ‘medium’ and ‘firm’. Find which one you prefer, of course. Cooking it is a bit tricky, as learning how to tell the difference between ‘cooked’ and ‘not cooked’ is a little harder than other foods.

Spray oil is.. well.. remember what I said about tofu picking up flavor? Far better to use something with an agreeable flavor. Not sure where olive oils sit on your list, but those work. Peanut oil is good in moderation, as are a number of other asian oils.

Frypans should work ok. If you’re feeling adventuresome, you can invest in a nice wok, and learn to do proper stirfry! It’s dead easy (if my mother could do it, so can you), flavorful, and very quick.

I think the main thing to avoid is trying to make tofu be like whatever food it’s replacing. If you’re making tofu burgers, then you’re eating seasoned tofu, not meat, so get over it and enjoy the possibilities inherent with tofu. It takes very well to marinades, and the firm stuff grills nicely.

My stepmother’s recipie: Garlic marinade some firm tofu. Grill nicely, serve on sourdough with lettuce, tomato, and horseradish mayo. Mmm….

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 25 January 2012 08:35 AM

Spray oil is.. well..

I get the feeling I’ll be making a trip to the supermarket after breakfast. There is a health food store nearby as well.

The tofu I bought is labeled as “hard tofu”. I’ll have to try other tofus as well.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
Peter - 25 January 2012 08:40 AM
Robin Bobcat - 25 January 2012 08:35 AM

Spray oil is.. well..

I get the feeling I’ll be making a trip to the supermarket after breakfast. There is a health food store nearby as well.

The tofu I bought is labeled as “hard tofu”. I’ll have to try other tofus as well.

Ooh, excellent. My advice is to ask the folks at the health food store. They’ll be able to answer just about any question you could possibly have, and will likely have books on the subject if need be.

Hard tofu grills well, and is also good for stir fry where one is actually stirring the tofu in with other ingredients (it won’t break up as easily). A lot of people who don’t like the texture of tofu find it more agreeable, since it’s not ‘squishy’, but if overdone, it can be like chewing a sponge.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Yes, I’ll try the health food shop. I’ll pick up something there after breakfast.

But as they seem a tad expensive next time after that I’ll investigate the local supermarkets. This eating healthy can send you broke if you’re not careful.

My new found diet is from “The G.I. Diet” by Rick Gallop. I’ve only just started it so it’s too early to tell if it will help me. My local doctor seems to thinks it’s good though.

I’m just having a kinky time with the Kindle software. It doesn’t help that it seems a bit different on each device. I’m managing OK with reading the ebook as it is.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 25 January 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Robin’s advice too about it picking up flavors like a sponge is a VERY good caution note too.  It can become pungent with too many flavors and seasonings, something I don’t like about some chefs that saturate it to the point that it’s no longer palatable.  I also do not like the feel of it on my tongue. 

Tofo mixed into other foods is okay but then it’s more a filler and I don’t like that at all. 

Peter I am unsure what you are attempting to do:  lose weight, lower cholesterol, both or something else but tofu amounts must be as limited in consumption as some other foods.  Depending on whose advertising what, the nutritional values can be VERY different by 200% when researching on the net.  I’ve tried to find the ones that are more accurate but also be aware that tofu must have calcium sulfate added to it to maintain mean nutritional values:

Calories in Tofu, Firm
Prepared With Calcium Sulfate And Magnesium Chloride (Nigari)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
1/2 cup (126.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
5.3g
8%
Saturated Fat
1.1g
5%
Polyunsaturated Fat
2.3g
Monounsaturated Fat
1.5g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
15mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
2.1g
1%
Dietary Fiber
1.1g
5%
Sugars
0.8g
Protein
10.3g
Vitamin A 0%  •  Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 25%  •  Iron 11%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
See more extended nutritional details

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299538-how-many-calories-are-in-tofu/
Calories

A 3.5-oz. serving of firm tofu contains 145 calories. Regular tofu contains 76 calories per 3.5 oz. Soft or silken tofu is the lowest in calorie with 61 calories.
Protein and Calcium

Firm tofu contains 16 g of protein and 685 mg of calcium per serving. Regular tofu provides about half as much of these nutrients at just 8 g of protein and 350 mg of calcium. Silken or soft tofu provides the least protein and calcium at 6.5 g and 111 mg, respectively.

http://howmanycalories.biz/calories/egg/
Egg Nutrition Facts

Amount per Serving: Serving Size 1 large (46.0 g)

Calories – 90
  Calories from Fat – 63
  Total Fat – 7.0g
  Saturated Fat – 2.0g
  Polyunsaturated Fat – 1.2g
  Monounsaturated Fat – 2.9g
  Cholesterol – 210mg
  Sodium – 94mg
  Total Carbohydrates – 0.4g
  Sugars – 0.4g
  Protein – 6.3g
  Vitamin A – 7%
  Vitamin C – 0%
  Calcium – 3%
  Iron – 5%

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 January 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I found a great vegan fajita recipie on the peta website. I adjusted it to be just vegetarian rather than vegan using real cheese and simplified. I used tofu instead of meat. It went over great around my house even with my meat and potatos husband. I am not a vegetarin either but I am willing to try new things

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 25 January 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 25 January 2012 11:54 AM

Peter I am unsure what you are attempting to do:  lose weight, lower cholesterol, both or something else but tofu amounts must be as limited in consumption as some other foods.

I’m about 29 kilograms (about 64 pounds) overweight so I really need to do something about that. The tofu I bought seems expensive, $4.99 (Australian) for 375 grams, so I probably won’t eat too much of that anyway.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Well I my first attempt at frying tofu. And disaster struck. The whole block slipped out of my hand and onto the carpet. Into the bin it went.

I turned my veggies off the boil while I raced down the supermarket on foot. I picked up this peanut oil as well as new tofu. The oil is in this plastic bottle and I accidentally squeezed it too hard. A bit of oil flew up and on my stove top, red hot by now. There was a small but bright finger of flame shooting up. Fortunately no damage was done.

The tofu came out a bit too crispy after being in the frypan. I’ll try to do it a bit better next time.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

So what is Tofu

Or perhaps I should ask, what was it when it was alive?

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Apparently it’s made from coagulating soy milk. It definitely wasn’t alive by the time I finished with it.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 26 January 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Yep! I have heard that it’s actually not that hard to make, if you have the time and inclination. But you’ll get better results at the supermarket, to be honest. It’s pretty much taking soy milk and adding an acidic component to it. Friend of mine made lemon juice tofu once.. no icea how it turned out, but I suppose it would go well in a ‘lemon chicken’ setting.

Signature 

1 of 2