1 of 1
Question about North and South Poles
Posted: 24 January 2012 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

If you were standing directly on either the geographic North* or geographic South Pole would you feel any kind of spinning sensation?

*Assuming the North Pole is still iced over (just anticipating that kind of comment).

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 24 January 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2004-04-20

I don’t think so. Everything is moving relative to you, so there’d be no perception of motion. And so many people have been to the poles, I figure if that effect existed, it would have been reported already. Actually, I remember an episode of Top Gear where they drove to the North Pole. When they reached it, everything seemed normal. No spinning motion.

Posted: 24 January 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually there *IS* a spinning motion.. it is just very, very slow, so you don’t notice it. For that matter, there’s a spinning motion felt pretty much everywhere on the globe, and it’s provable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

So yes, if you can notice a 0.0006944 RPM spin (one rotation/24 hours), take some dramamine to the poles.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 January 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

You’re actually experiencing a far greater acceleration standing anywhere but the poles, yet you never notice that when you’re out and about.  What you would eventually notice, assuming clear dark skies, was the whole sky rotating around you.  At lower latitudes it’s easy to notice the stars moving across the sky during the coarse of the night, but at the poles you would see them spin ever so slowly about you.  That would be awesome assuming one wasn’t also in the process of freezing to death.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

No, I wouldn’t notice and I agree that if I would notice spinning I’d have noticed it when I lived closer to the equator.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1