1 of 2
Mixed feelings about rain
Posted: 25 November 2011 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

In my part of the world we are coming out of a bad dry spell we had for some years. A couple of years ago the dam levels here fell to below 30 percent. In recent times the dry spell has been replaced with more rain and the dam levels are just above 64 percent. It’s pouring with rain here as I type this. The dam levels have been rising for the past couple of years. This is great news for us. There’s a link here that shows the figures.

Except it seems depressing having to go out in the pouring rain. Kind of ironic when something that’s so good for us causes such bad feelings. I have to see a client this morning and it’s pouring with rain.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 November 2011 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Yeah, we’ve been having a very wet November here in Perth, too.  I don’t know how bad our dams were, but I think we were somewhere between 20-25%.  And while the rain is good, it is kinda sad that it’s nearly summer and I’ve not had much opportunity to break out the summer gear.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 26 November 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

I reckon we’re getting your dry, warm weather in the UK. It’s been almost t-shirt weather outside again today. Hard to think we’re a month away from Chrissy.

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 26 November 2011 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Too much of anything, including weather sameness, can become depressing.  Too much sun, too much darkness, too much dry, too much snow, too much cold, too much wind, too much rain….................  Emotionally, most living things, plants and animals, need variety.  Probably that’s why Hawaii is valued because there is both rain and sunshine several times a day every day.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 November 2011 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-13
hulitoons - 26 November 2011 01:08 PM

Too much of anything, including weather sameness, can become depressing.  Too much sun, too much darkness, too much dry, too much snow, too much cold, too much wind, too much rain….................  Emotionally, most living things, plants and animals, need variety.  Probably that’s why Hawaii is valued because there is both rain and sunshine several times a day every day.

True! It depends on personal circumstances, too. When I was a kid I used to love snow. My school was a short walk away, with or without snow, and it made no difference to my everyday life whether it was snowing, except it was fun to play in.

Now, I’m an adult (physically, anyway) and have to work, doing a job which involves travelling. Whether it snows determines whether I get to work on time, whether we can get crews out to jobs, sometimes increases the health and safety issues of the job, and on some occasions have determined whether crews can get back to our depot. I can deal with the cold, even the rain, and the heat, but snow and ice can be a serious issue.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

‘Crews’?............ gosh, what is it you do Paul?

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 November 2011 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

Last year we had a lot of ice and snow by this time, and everywhere was sold out of welly boots, snow shovels etc. This year we got prepared. We made sure that all three of us boots, we bought a sack of salt and a snow shovel, and Scotland’s had its warmest November since 1910! LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 November 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Yep Madmouse, all those purchases made it so!

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2011 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

We think it works the same way as taking an umbrella out to make sure it doesn’t rain. wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 November 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-13
hulitoons - 27 November 2011 11:12 AM

It’s absolutely not anything glamorous, Huli. grin All I do is removals. So, obviously, when carrying a chest of drawers, an icy driveway is a fair bit more risky than a concrete one.

Madmouse - 28 November 2011 08:07 AM

Last year we had a lot of ice and snow by this time, and everywhere was sold out of welly boots, snow shovels etc. This year we got prepared. We made sure that all three of us boots, we bought a sack of salt and a snow shovel, and Scotland’s had its warmest November since 1910! LOL

hulitoons - 28 November 2011 08:17 AM

Madmouse - 28 November 2011 08:37 AM

We think it works the same way as taking an umbrella out to make sure it doesn’t rain. wink

A sort of reverse sympathetic magic? smirk

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Maybe not glamorous but definitely a job that attends to actual ‘needs’ that will always be necessary!

A little bit like acknowledging that people will always need to eat so services and supplies of food will always been in demand.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
Paul Taylor - 28 November 2011 11:30 AM
hulitoons - 27 November 2011 11:12 AM

It’s absolutely not anything glamorous, Huli. grin All I do is removals. So, obviously, when carrying a chest of drawers, an icy driveway is a fair bit more risky than a concrete one.

Madmouse - 28 November 2011 08:07 AM

hulitoons - 28 November 2011 08:17 AM

Madmouse - 28 November 2011 08:37 AM

A sort of reverse sympathetic magic? smirk

You must meet some interesting people. Is there no specially made trolley or special pair of boots you could buy to help with icy driveways?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

1 of 2