3 of 4
Currently…
Posted: 27 November 2011 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

You don’t need a separate e-reader, Peter. You should have iBooks on the iPad.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 27 November 2011 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Well Peter, I don’t like alcohol!  I do like cold apple cider though…............. (but not hard cider which does have alcohol in it)  I do have about half a cub of hot wassail at Christmas sometimes :  http://kathleen-duffy.suite101.com/make-at-home-mulled-wine-and-wassail-a171175

Basic Mulled Wine Recipe:

The word ‘mulled’ means heated and spiced and such wines have been around for a long time. They were particularly popular in cold, northern climates where they were thought to be good for the health. This is a basic recipe, but of course there are many variations, including different spices, white or red wine and plenty of different fruits. Experiment and enjoy.

Ingredients:

A pinch of nutmeg
  3 tablespoons of brown sugar
  Juice and rind of 1 lemon or orange
  1 stick of cinnamon
  3 cloves
  300 ml/ ½ pint hot water
  1 bottle of dry red wine – cheap plonk is fine.

Method:
  In a pan place the nutmeg, brown sugar, juice and rind of lemon or orange, cinnamon stick, cloves and hot water.
  Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
  Add the wine
  Reheat but don’t boil.
  Serve immediately in thick glasses – or pottery mugs (preferable).

or

A Simple Wassail Recipe:

The term ‘wassail’ comes from the Ango-Saxon phrase, waes hael. It is a term that was often used when toasting friends and family and wishing them good health. The wassail drink became associated with Christmas and New Year celebrations and there are many varied recipes, but the majority seem to have ingredients that include baked apples or oranges, nutmeg and brown sugar. Some use beer, wine or brandy or all three, the latter not being for the fainthearted.

Ingredients:

6 cooking apples
  Soft brown sugar
  15 g/½ oz ground ginger
  Half a grated nutmeg
  Pinch of powdered cinnamon
  225 g/8 oz Demerara sugar
  1.75 litres/3 pints ale, mild or brown
  ¼ bottle sherry
  1 lemon
  Cube sugar

Method:

Core apples, but leave the peel on. Fill the holes with soft brown sugar and roast in a moderate oven, Gas 3, 325°F, 160° C, for about 45 minutes to one hour. Make sure they don’t burn.
  Meanwhile, in a saucepan mix the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and Demerara sugar. Add 600 ml/1 pint of the ale and bring to the boil.
  Stir in the rest of the ale, the wine and 10 cubes of sugar that have been rubbed on the rind of the lemon. Heat the mixture, but do not allow it to boil.
  Put the roasted apples in a bowl and pour in the hot ale mixture with half the peeled and sliced lemon.
  Serve in thick glasses or pottery mugs (preferable).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 November 2011 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 27 November 2011 08:20 PM

You don’t need a separate e-reader, Peter. You should have iBooks on the iPad.

Yes, of course. I’ve also got that Kindle App on my iPad.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 27 November 2011 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Huly that recipe looks interesting.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 27 November 2011 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Peter - 27 November 2011 08:29 PM

I was going to mention that one, too, but you have to have a Kindle account on Amazon set up for that. Not sure if you can actually do that without a Kindle. I didn’t bother trying on mine. I just used my wife’s Kindle account.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 27 November 2011 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 27 November 2011 09:26 PM
Peter - 27 November 2011 08:29 PM

I was going to mention that one, too, but you have to have a Kindle account on Amazon set up for that. Not sure if you can actually do that without a Kindle. I didn’t bother trying on mine. I just used my wife’s Kindle account.

I’ve previously bought a couple of Kindle books from Amazon for reading on my iPhone. I’ve never owned an actual Kindle, I just bought them from Amazon and downloaded them to the Kindle software on my Mac then synced them to the Kindle software on my iPhone. After I bought my iPad I synced them to the Kindle software on my iPad.

I don’t remember actually setting up a Kindle account on Amazon. From memory I just bought them through my normal Amazon account. That was some months ago so I don’t know if things have changed since then.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 27 November 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

Nope. Sounds right. I tried to log in to my Amazon account from the Kindle app and it told me there was no Kindle attached to that account. Instead of figuring it out and making it Kindle friendly I just used my wife’s account. wink

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2011 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I bought Erik his IPad Touch, Kindle and his Nook from Amazon and though they were both purchased through my account, he had no problem registering them through his account.  His books download instantly on all three from Amazon and other sources through apps and any wifi source.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 November 2011 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
hulitoons - 27 November 2011 07:51 AM

Paul, you could see her page on FaceBook but not mine?

Love the stuff you make Mad!!!

It’s probably because my jewellery isn’t on my personal page, it’s a separate page. And thanks. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 November 2011 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Oh NOW I see Madmouse, you have an open business page!  See, like Paul, I didn’t realize you could even do that on FB!!!

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2011 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-04-13

It’s stuff like this that makes me so nervous of FaceBook. I’ve got a friend who only found out a while ago that non-friends could see all her FaceBook stuff. She thought she’d set it up so only friends could read it.

Currently, just home from work, and very tired.

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

3 of 4