I think we have also become enamoured with FaceBook. It’s something new but it also leaves something to be desired too. First, FB posts are very short-lived and encourages a behavior we haven’t really faced on here and that’s the pursuit to be seen or noted within the brief period of time that our comment is visible. Everyone hopes that what they have to say will have some shared meaning, even if it’s controversial, because it invites camaraderie. But posts are not visible long enough to hold passion.
Here on this forum there is not only time enough to enjoy, but time enough to think.
For example, on the morning of November 4th at 6:51 am (just over 2 weeks ago) I posted:
Facebook is like life:
1. BIRTH-you post your comment
2. TODDLER/CHILD-other births are born and your comment moves down a little as others read it
3. TEEN/YOUNG ADULT-your comment is young/cute and people ‘date’ you by commenting or ‘liking’
4. MIDDLE AGE-your comment starts to get lost moving faster down the feed. Maybe even you still read it again but it’s getting old/tiresome
5. ELDERLY-pretty soon the only way people and even you can see your comment is by pressing ‘older stories’ because it’s moved off the buffer
6. EXPIRED LIFE/MEMORIES-finally and too soon you and anyone else have to press ‘older posts/stories’ MANY times before that comment can ever be seen again
Amazing how fast life flies…..
Because it was early in the morning, it had moved to the ‘elderly/dead’ area by the time other people were home from work or school so it was probably not even seen.
What I like about the forum here is that, while we are a small group at times, we are an eclectic group and opinions and ideas have been inspiring.