1 of 2
How my brain works
Posted: 13 November 2011 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

So I have an iPhone 4. Siri only runs on the iPhone 4S.

I search for a Siri-like substitute and I find one. It’s called Vlingo. I start talking to my iPhone. Vlingo seems somewhat less than perfect.

I feel a total idiot. I ask myself “why the hell am I talking to my iPhone?”.

Then I ask myself “Did I really just think that?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 13 November 2011 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Welcome to the world of voice recognition software. smile  My Android supposedly has voice recognition, but I’ve not tried it out.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 13 November 2011 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I don’t have the software, but I do have the hardware, two actually:  Erik and FuzzyButt…...........the only one I wonder about is when I have conversations with FuzzyButt

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 November 2011 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

My Android has voice recognition too.  I’ve tried it a couple of times and it seems to work ok.  I like the feature of being able to dictate a message instead of trying to type it in.  That works pretty good when I remember to use it.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 13 November 2011 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

My Samsung has a decent voice recognition setup. It’s set so it can activate automatically if you’ve a headset on, which is useful. All it really recognizes is ‘call %contact’, ‘dial %number’, or ‘run %application’. I think it can be used to send texts, but that gets into some odd meta-concepts I don’t wanna think about…

Mind, I’m never driving long enough to warrant using a headset, so I don’t really NEED it per se…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 November 2011 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16

I have an iPhone 4S. Siri is nice. I particularly enjoyed asking her to “Beam me up” and “How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?”

If you get a chance to use one make sure you try those a couple times to get the various funny replies.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 November 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

There’s a website, ‘shitthatsirisays.com’, which details some of the easter eggs and funny results..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 February 2012 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I just tried re-installing Vlingo (the Siri-like substitute) onto my iPhone. I don’t know what I expected.

I asked it for a location for a milk bar where I live, just to test it out. It replied with a suggested Google search for “cartoon Warner”. The first result was Tom and Jerry.

I suppose I could persevere with it to see if I can get the hang of it.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 01 February 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Dictating a text message seems to be the ultimate oxymoron.

Posted: 01 February 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Peter - 01 February 2012 01:59 AM

I just tried re-installing Vlingo (the Siri-like substitute) onto my iPhone. I don’t know what I expected.

I asked it for a location for a milk bar where I live, just to test it out. It replied with a suggested Google search for “cartoon Warner”. The first result was Tom and Jerry.

I suspect in the end you’ll find it easier to jsut punch something like that into google and go thru the results.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 01 February 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 01 February 2012 08:56 AM
Peter - 01 February 2012 01:59 AM

I suspect in the end you’ll find it easier to jsut punch something like that into google and go thru the results.

I suspect you’re right. But as I’m a Business IT student it’s hard for me not to check these things out sometimes.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 01 February 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Mr R - 01 February 2012 04:13 AM

Dictating a text message seems to be the ultimate oxymoron.

Naw it isn’t.  It’s been the idea behind shorthand to typed manuscript and now Dragon software voice recognition.  Remember that there are many people who are deaf or can’t see.  Using a telephone has not been an option for them.  The keyboard idea on a tiny-teeny phone is also ridiculous and causes or amplifies corporal tunnel and other hand injuries.  Erik’s telephone system at work sends voice messages via .wav files attached to, yes, e-mail messages! 

Tit for tat and back again.  This new system as I understand is brilliant.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2