1 of 2
October 21st, 2011 - No Really This Time - UPDATED
Posted: 10 October 2011 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

You may remember poor Harold Camping, who was absolutely certain that the world was going to end on May 21st, 2011?

Yeah, he’s got a new date.

His argument this time is that ‘May 21st was when everyone was judged whether they’d be worthy or not’, and that the actual Rapture and things going ‘boom’ is gonna be in couple weeks. No really. Honest.

Here’s the message Camping is putting out on the website for his Family Radio organization:

Thus we can be sure that the whole world, with the exception of those who are presently saved (the elect), are under the judgment of God, and will be annihilated together with the whole physical world on October 21, 2011, on the last day of the present five months period. On that day the true believers (the elect) will be raptured. We must remember that only God knows who His elect are that He saved prior to May 21.

More recently, he told followers in a recorded message:

I do believe that we’re getting very near the very end…. If [God] had not kept us from knowing everything that we didn’t know, we would not have been able to be used of Him to bring about the tremendous event that occurred on May 21 of this year, and which probably will be finished out on October 21, that’s coming very shortly. That looks like it will be at this point, it looks like it will be the final end of everything.

Ten bucks says he keeps moving the date up a few months every time until he dies.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/10/06/harold-camping-predicts-oct-21-rapture-again/

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 10 October 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

Yep. Remember the May date passing and him changing it to October 21. So that’s not really new. Then he had a stroke (that was new!) and I hadn’t heard anything since then.

Not that I was actively pursuing trying to hear anything about it.

ETA: See? We’ve already had this discussion!

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 10 October 2011 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, I just thought we should start up a new thread for it, since it’s coming up.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 10 October 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2011-01-01

Well, I think it’s pretty clear that he’s a world-class nut.  However, on the spectrum of nuts, he’s actually fairly benign.

As far as I know, he hasn’t done the despicable televangelist thing of “send me money or god will smite me”.  He doesn’t seem to be aiming PRIMARILY to profit (personally) from his nuttiness.  And his rhetoric (at least by comparison to the WBC) seems more or less restrained.

He is damaging to some gullible people, in that his schtick has caused some of them to sell all their worldly possessions and camp out, awaiting the “rapture” (whatever that may be).

Sigh.

Signature 

My dad always said, “be all that you can be”.

I tried it.  Succeeded.  Not terribly impressed with the results so far.

Posted: 15 October 2011 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’m somewhat disappointed that he didn’t choose September 12th.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 October 2011 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

So was I Acci.  That was a very memorable and entertaining apocalypse - it would have been nice to relive some of the finer moments of it.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 15 October 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2010-03-21

Is anyone else old enough to remember when the Jehovah Witnesses did this every few years? From the turn of the 20th century until the 1970s, they picked the end of the world within a year or so. Since the Ford era, they switched to the generic “short while.” They were much more entertaining when they actually set the date.

Posted: 16 October 2011 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-09-01

May 21st, I walked into work with my acoustic guitar playing and singing R.E.M’s “It’s The End Of The World As We Know It”.

A good time was had by all.

(And we’re all still here).

Perhaps I’ll bring my Banjo on October 21st.

Signature 

Pop Goes The Weasel…...... NOW Who’s Gonna Clean Up This Mess?

Posted: 21 October 2011 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

No Apocalypse here. Anyone else? Don’t post here if it happened to you! (Or if you were taken in the Rapture.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 21 October 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I don’t seem to be here at the moment, but with me it’s purely intellectually.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 21 October 2011 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ll know something’s happened if I drive far enough and see the rest of the Earth is missing.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 October 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

We don’t seem to have had an apocalypse here. There may have been a Rapture, but based on my friends and acquaintances I probably wouldn’t notice. wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

1 of 2